PDA

View Full Version : Dust, dust and more dust

Wongo
24th December 2005, 01:24 PM
I think it is the biggest problem in the workshop. It is a health hazard, they are everywhere and there is nothing we can do to stop them completely.

I have a 2hp DC with pleated filter, an air filtration system and wear a respirator when ripping. What do you have to combat the problem?

Termite
24th December 2005, 04:05 PM
Nose hair.

bitingmidge
24th December 2005, 04:08 PM
I have a 2hp DC with pleated filter, an air filtration system and wear a respirator when ripping.

Me too.

My hair is a fairly sparse commodity, so I imagine my nose hair is also under-endowed.... therefore I use all the other stuff.

P
:D

Ausworkshop
24th December 2005, 04:33 PM
Ive just given up and come to accept that I will die young.
Ive dedicated my life to the science of woodworking.
I figure that after a life time of slaughtering trees its only fair that they get a little revenge back at us at the end of our lives.
:eek:

craigb
24th December 2005, 05:09 PM
Always wear a respirator when using machines.

I have a wall exhaust fan that I run as well as the dusty.

I'm just about to buy a dust extractor for use with hand power tools.

I have to upgrade the DC with a micron filter.

Auld Bassoon
24th December 2005, 06:07 PM
A 2hp Dusty, a wheeled vacuum bin for hand (power tools), and a BIG box of tissues :D

Skew ChiDAMN!!
24th December 2005, 06:30 PM
Same as Steve B... a 2HP DC, good wheeled vac and a lot of tissues.

I used to be quite practised at the bushman's hanky, but then I grew a beard. :o

Waldo
24th December 2005, 11:58 PM
G'day,

A C/T 2hp Dusty.

The killer dust I get is with Cypress on my bandsaw, also sanding on my faceplate sander which kicks up a bucklet load of dust so I use a facemask.

I have a wall mounted exhaust fan which the previous owner instaled but have yet to get a double power point fitted just above the bench to use it - one day.

Shedhand
25th December 2005, 12:35 AM
In my current shed :o

Open shed door
Wheeled Arlec wet/dry vac (with tool power point)
A really good dust mask ($45 bucks from Bunnies)
Nose hair In my new shed :D

2HP DC
Ceiling mounted Air Filter ( I think. Anyone have a view about these things?)
Wheeled as above
Really good DM as above
Nose hair

la Huerta
11th January 2006, 10:58 PM
i started serious woodworking from home a year ago, dust has been a problem ever since, i got a 2hp dc and that gets the dust from some machines ok but is also dusty in itself, and the belt sander , well i won't go there to much, but then i got real busy and was doing a lot of belt sanding, the dust was everywhere, inside , outside , on me, on my dog in the house........life has a funny way of working out, as i could not solve the hand power tool dust problems i forced myself to look into dark side (hand tools) techniques, with some fustration i might add, bugger if i could do it right , but i kept trying and now i can hand plane and smooth a dining table with old hand tools in the same time it would take to belt sand, and no dust just shavings, i'm even steping up in the world a little and buying some more little planes, i now do my jointing by hand too, i can even work nights and not bother anyone ...sometimes you have to force youself to change ...now about the few machines i do use , table saw , thicknesser, bandsaw, all these will be connected up with a couple of metres of duct and some flexy pipe, but most importly is to have good hoods that are as close as possible to the wood being cut, the thicknesser already has one, bandsaw needs a couple at verious spots and the tablesaw top and bottom, here's a briliant one for thee tablesaw top hood ,http://www.woodcentral.com/bparticles/overarm_guard_plain.shtml
and if you have a regular DC with a bag then keep it outside or you'll just be breathing in the same dust...

hope this helps...