PDA

View Full Version : What are these floors made from?

Yourin8or
29th November 2022, 05:23 PM

Hi there,

I'm a botanist by trade and find myself in the unusual position of asking others what type of tree this is!

My wife and I recently purchased a 1960's house in Lake Mac NSW and have been delighted to find floorboards beneath the tiles and carpets.
I've attached two photos of the floorboards that I can easily access. Let me know if there are any other photos that would help. I'm guessing Cypress pine but wouldn't have a clue.

Thanks in advance for any ideas on what we are looking at here.

Picko
29th November 2022, 09:20 PM
Yep that's definately Cypress. I've put heaps of it down over the years.

yvan
30th November 2022, 07:42 AM

Hi there,

I'm a botanist by trade and find myself in the unusual position of asking others what type of tree this is!

My wife and I recently purchased a 1960's house in Lake Mac NSW and have been delighted to find floorboards beneath the tiles and carpets.
I've attached two photos of the floorboards that I can easily access. Let me know if there are any other photos that would help. I'm guessing Cypress pine but wouldn't have a clue.

Thanks in advance for any ideas on what we are looking at here.

These look like very nice, wide floor boards! It would be interesting to know if the tree species has a bearing on the restoration of the floor(s)?

Cheers
Yvan

Yourin8or
30th November 2022, 11:52 AM
If it was a softer species like radiata I may have left tiles over the kitchen and entry. I'm glad to hear that they are likely Cypress Pine, off with the tiles and carpet!