PDA

View Full Version : Heli grind jig

hughie
11th January 2023, 07:22 PM
Just wondering who has one of these sharpening jigs or has used one? As I see, they are now back on the market with some mods and additional gear. I like for the engineering aspect, but have never really seen a review or many comments for that matter, as I have often wondered how they fare against other sharpening jigs.

Your thoughts gentlemen.

Mobyturns
11th January 2023, 07:55 PM
Hughie, I have one of the originals. Far better than the Tormek jigs for the fingernail profile on spindle gouges.

I posted this a fair while back - wow 2014.

Tool Grinds - Heligrind (woodworkforums.com) (https://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/tool-grinds-heligrind-185493?highlight=heligrind)

hughie
12th January 2023, 07:51 PM
Hughie, I have one of the originals. Far better than the Tormek jigs for the fingernail profile on spindle gouges.

I posted this a fair while back - wow 2014.

Tool Grinds - Heligrind (woodworkforums.com) (https://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/tool-grinds-heligrind-185493?highlight=heligrind)

So much for my memory. I see I read and commented on your original post back then. Thanks for the update :U

Mobyturns
13th January 2023, 07:49 AM
So much for my memory. I see I read and commented on your original post back then. Thanks for the update :U

I noted that. :D

As Powderpost & I often like to remind each other "What's your name again?" :B

hughie
13th January 2023, 08:45 AM
lol :u:u:u:u

NeilS
16th January 2023, 03:49 PM
I also have one of the original Heli-Grind setups.

I bought it primarily for putting a fingernail grind on my P&N bowl gouges that I was using back then, but I never really liked the grind it did on those. Probably as much to do with the flute design on the P&Ns as the jig. It also didn't take some of my larger gouges.

It did do a good job on my spindle gouges but that is a grind that can be readily done on a platform, but the grind on a bowl gouges with a 'parabolic' flute is more complex and I prefer to grind those with a jig, other than the the 40/40 grind.

So I then made various versions of the Ellsworth jig and they did a much better job on the 'parabolic' flutes, like the HT Superflute and Crown Ellsworth sig gouge. I used those DIY jigs until I went with the Woodcut.

I'm still using the platform component of the Heli-Grind and that continues to do a good job for that use.

If I can find all the bits and pieces of the gouge component of the Heli-Grind jig I'd be happy to let that go to a new home if someone can make better use of it. As I understand it, although I have not tried it myself, the gouge part of the jig will fit on the bar of the 'Torment' or their bench grinder mounting kit.

Mobyturns
16th January 2023, 04:12 PM
If I can find all the bits and pieces of the gouge component of the Heli-Grind jig I'd be happy to let that go to a new home if someone can make better use of it. As I understand it, although I have not tried it myself, the gouge part of the jig will fit on the bar of the 'Torment' or their bench grinder mounting kit.

It does and I use it all the time on the Tormek, see images above.