PDA

View Full Version : Mini Vase in Maple

powderpost
13th January 2023, 10:47 PM
The blank was unearthed recently during a clean up. Started about six months ago and was supposed to have been finished at the Last August Turnout at Malanda, didn't happen. Today I got some time at the lathe and finished off this little vase. It is 60mm tall and 50mm diameter. The vertical feature stripes were specially made with timber of the same species. The body was made from some very special quilted Queensland maple with top and bottoms made from budgeroo. The finish is a single coat of lacquer cut back to a soft glow.

Also found two similar red cedar blanks for near future attention.

Jim

Skew ChiDAMN!!
14th January 2023, 12:08 AM
Damn, I wish I could find blanks like that when I rummaged through my roughed out forms... :sigh:

That is a lovely little vase.

NeilS
14th January 2023, 12:57 PM
The blank was unearthed recently during a clean up. Started about six months ago and was supposed to have been finished at the Last August Turnout at Malanda, didn't happen. Today I got some time at the lathe and finished off this little vase. It is 60mm tall and 50mm diameter. The vertical feature stripes were specially made with timber of the same species. The body was made from some very special quilted Queensland maple with top and bottoms made from budgeroo. The finish is a single coat of lacquer cut back to a soft glow.

Jim

A mate recently showed me one of you miniature segmented pieces that he has of yours.

It was so thin and light that I was concerned it might blow away in the wind.

It had a tiny threaded lid that left me amazed!

Log Dog
31st January 2023, 11:31 AM
That is stunning PP
Love the Qld Maple

Log Dog :)

Peter White
31st January 2023, 02:56 PM
Absolutely first class.

hughie
1st February 2023, 07:26 PM
:D you're not the only one

hughie
1st February 2023, 07:28 PM

Jim
Jim now thats a winner in anyone's book, nicely done sir.

TTIT
1st February 2023, 07:59 PM
You certainly never doing anything by halves! Beautiful piece Jim :2tsup: