PDA

View Full Version : Boxing Day Bowl

Baz
26th December 2005, 03:32 PM
Hi guys, my burl supplier gave me this Red Box Burl to do something with for him. The bark had already been removed and as you can see the fiddleback was even showing on the cambium layer, I decided to leave the outside of the burl as it was. I attached a faceplate and turned a recess in the bottom for the chuck.This burl was one week off the tree, obviously still green and not much moisture but it was one of the toughest burls I have turned. Finished it off with our sponsors Traditional wax. Size is 95mm high and max diameter is 350mm.
Cheers
Barry

JohnM
26th December 2005, 04:35 PM
Very very nice:cool:

Andraax
29th December 2005, 10:35 AM
Beautiful Lustre

Cliff Rogers
29th December 2005, 01:38 PM
.....This burl was one week off the tree, obviously still green and not much moisture ...

Nice looking piece, don't be surprised if it warps if it's only a week old.

I made a big bowl out of a burl that had been cut for almost a year & it warped after I gave it to the new owner.

Andraax
29th December 2005, 02:14 PM
Nice looking piece, don't be surprised if it warps if it's only a week old.

I made a big bowl out of a burl that had been cut for almost a year & it warped after I gave it to the new owner.

Ah but that adds to the uniqueness of it.

Cliff Rogers
29th December 2005, 03:50 PM
I didn't say 'don't be disappointed' I said 'don't be surprised' ;)

Baz
29th December 2005, 04:33 PM
Cliff, no I won't be disappointed, I have given it to my supplier. I needed to finish it before it cracked open, very hot and dry here at the moment.
Cheers
Barry