PDA

View Full Version : Rusty is finished - Now what next? power or sail ?

Aberdeen
26th December 2005, 07:23 PM
For the few out there that are aware of 'Rusty' ....she is now finished and water-tight. A 20HP Honda hanging off its back.

QUESTION

What do I build next?

Motor or Sail
18' or 22'
Hartley or something else
Too many choices

Thanks to Daddles for motivation

Rusty
26th December 2005, 07:34 PM
I'm truly honoured...God bless her and all who sail in her...:D

Aberdeen
26th December 2005, 07:35 PM
A couple more snaps of Rusty

Aberdeen
26th December 2005, 07:38 PM
Thanks for that Rusty, trust you are as good looking

MajorPanic
26th December 2005, 08:17 PM
Why don't ya jump right into the VERY deep end & build yerself an Adams 44??????? http://www.ubeaut.biz/scared2.gif http://www.ubeaut.biz/scared2.gif http://www.ubeaut.biz/scared2.gif

Aberdeen
26th December 2005, 08:29 PM
Sounds great, will find one on the net..... but the only shortage for something that size is time, money, my shed's too small, time and money..... it's sad I know.

Daddles
26th December 2005, 09:56 PM
And don't be fooled by the photos. Rusty is a bloody sight better looking in real life than in the photos. Well done mate.

Richard

Studley 2436
27th December 2005, 12:00 AM
It is better in the flesh. I sent a greenie because it looks so good in the pix!:eek: :cool:

zenwood
27th December 2005, 12:21 AM
A beautiful, beautiful, beautiful* looking boat. Is she timber through and through?

Did you make some big steam bending jigs? Love to see making pics if you've got some. I've made a couple of boats, but only 6 inches long.:o

Greeny from me too.

* "... Just the place for a Snark! I have said it thrice:
What I tell you three times is true." --THE HUNTING OF THE SNARK an Agony in Eight Fits
by Lewis Carroll, Fit the First

Aberdeen
27th December 2005, 05:54 PM
'Zenwood' Thanks for the compliments - neede to make a small steamer for a couple of tight curves on the deck timber, other than that just old fashioned patience and force!

6" ones are good, easier to handle and need less space :-)

If you like I could email you a set of progress photos on the build, drop me a note if you like at: g.angus(at)bigpond.net.au

Thanks for the Greeny

Aberdeen
27th December 2005, 06:02 PM
Hi Studley,
Nice compliment from a pro photographer, maybe I should get some studio shots done of Rusty :) :p

Studley 2436
29th December 2005, 02:22 PM
Rusty wouldn't go up the stairs into my studio Aberdeen. I don't mind coming and taking some pictures though, will have to wait until my camera gets back from being serviced though. Actually you don't have a lathe with a 6 inch swing on it? So able to turn 12 inch diameter? I am making a wheelbarrow at the moment and I don't have a lathe to make the wheel. More important though is the axle I might be able to do a wheel but the axle has to have a lathe to make.

Studley

Auld Bassoon
29th December 2005, 04:40 PM
G'day Aberdeen,

Very smart little runabout!

As to power or sail for the next project, well, if it was me, it would definitely have to be sail.

6.5m (22') is a comfortable size for trailering, and is small enough to be easily managed single-handed. Probably have to be a drop keel / centre board for trailering though.

Cheers!

Aberdeen
1st January 2006, 06:39 PM
Sorry, can't help with the lathe, other than an el-cheepo GMC that would be lucky to take a 6" bit

Aberdeen
3rd January 2006, 08:47 AM
And don't be fooled by the photos. Rusty is a bloody sight better looking in real life than in the photos. Well done mate.

Richard
Hey Daddles,
Great to see you up the Murray with a paddle!
The little Red Back and Mouse loked great and thank heavens you didn't need to use them as resuce craft for Rusty :-)

Daddles
3rd January 2006, 10:23 AM
Ah yes, Rusty's official launch. She floated, she motored, and he's worn her out already. We had to hit him with a lump of redgum to take the silly grin off his face. Should I mention THAT hat :eek:

Trouble, is with Glenn sitting in the back, he needed TWO generously proportioned men at the front to balance him :eek:

And 20 hp on a 10 ft boat - hmm. At one point, a bloke with a bright red speed boat and a huge (read 'noisy') V8 inboard tried to keep up - the bloke was still sobbing as he put the red weapon back on its trailer.

Thanks for a good day Glenn. Rusty's a gem:D

Richard

Aberdeen
4th January 2006, 05:07 PM
Thanks Richard,
It was a great day and your little ones added to the atmosphere (yes and the kids).
Have the new hat now courtesy of Black Sheep Embroidery at Mt Barker, it is certainly a big improvement on that old white one, left over I think from some movie entitled 'The African Queen'

Slight correction : please add 9" to your measurements of Rusty, she is sensitive to size! Personally at my age size ain't that important.

Aberdeen
6th January 2006, 04:30 PM
Steve B
Thanks for your thoughts. I might have to pop down to one of the local sailing clubs in the near future and do some fact hunting.

I know nothing about sailing other than we beat the Yanks a few years back :D with some Cup thingy and each year lots of blokes see who can sink first between Sydney and Hobart.

Glenn aka Aberdeen

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////

G'day Aberdeen,

Very smart little runabout!

As to power or sail for the next project, well, if it was me, it would definitely have to be sail.

6.5m (22') is a comfortable size for trailering, and is small enough to be easily managed single-handed. Probably have to be a drop keel / centre board for trailering though.

Cheers!

Christopha
6th January 2006, 05:05 PM
http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=22829

Nudge, nudge, hint, hint...... WIIIIIIIINK!

Aberdeen
8th January 2006, 01:39 PM
Truly a boat with lots of potential & reminds me of one my grandfather pulled up from Goolwa about 40 yrs ago. As a younger lad helped him rebuild it - steam tube for the new ribs, caulking and all that stuff.

But unlike young DADDLES I have limited time, after all retirement is anywhere between now and 4 yrs 9 months :D .
It would be a hell of a project but will be happy to watch the progress of the nearby SAMAR rebuild of Richards' challenge.