PDA

View Full Version : How Do You Drill Corian ??

darley56
27th December 2005, 12:28 PM
Well I would like to see some people to tell me the way they drill corian as we are in pen turning it would be nice to tell the how to, like that any person who want try corain got the right idea.

any technic any one?? ( will give mine late)

macca2
27th December 2005, 07:03 PM
I drill corian with an old large 1/2" drill held in a drill press.
Nothing flash.
The important thing is to hold the corian in vise, make sure it perpendicular, drill speed low, and drill thru the corian at a steady but slow pace, making sure you clear the drill very often and don't allow drill to get very hot.
Have some means of knowing where you are in terms of depth so you can take the last few mm carefully so you don't break the bottom away when you go thru.

Good luck

Macca

ozwinner
27th December 2005, 08:19 PM
carefully so you don't break the bottom away when you go thru.

As Quoted by Elton John last week.

Al :eek:

fxst
27th December 2005, 08:32 PM
As Quoted by Elton John last week.

Al :eek:
Good one Al heres a greenie if it lets me........ BUMMER!!!!! cant do it yet I owe ya 1
Ch 7 newsreader last week cracked me up
he said the difference between Prince Charlies wedding and Elton Johns was that there was no queen at Charlies wedding :D :D

cant help with the drilling as I cant seem get any corian out here. Would love to try some as they look great Would also like some for scrolling. But one can dream cant he cos Santa didnt listen :(
Pete

Skew ChiDAMN!!
28th December 2005, 12:26 AM
Same as Macca.

I use a jig in a drill-press, the same as for normal pens. I use a slower speed, scavenge frequently and go even slower when approaching breakout. Heat is not a good thing... some colours of corian melt easily and although others don't melt easily heat at the drill-bit can cause 'em to crack or shatter.

Wizened of Oz
28th December 2005, 05:54 PM
and go even slower when approaching breakout.

No experience here with Corian but when trying to make pens from mulga I initially split every blank at breakthrough.
Then I read this very logical tip somewhere: for difficult wood like this make your blanks over long, do not drill right through, and cut to correct length after drilling.
If Corian tends to split at breakthrough wouldn't the above get around the problem.

Kind regards
Brian

bdar
28th December 2005, 10:59 PM
Darley, I have drilled out the piece of Corian that you gave me, I used a brad point 7mm drill, held the Corian in the pin jaws of the Vicmarc chuck, drill on slowest speed and used fine machine oil to keep the drill cool. The oil is not a problem because I DNA to clean before I glue up. Have turned them due to work, will post a photo when I can get to them.

darley56
29th December 2005, 10:41 AM
I see that few poeple know to drill it but let me put my imput on this,

I drill my corian at 1000 to 1200 rprm, slow speed is nice I use an Dewalt pilot point ( you find them at Bunnings but you have to order them ) and to cool the bit while drilling I use an hold CA bottle and water, no secret to drill corian just cut 5 M/M longer than the tube withdraw the bit often when drilling and add water to cool it off don't drill trough mark the bit drill with masking tape for the tube lenght, remove the remain on the disk sander and you're ready to go, use CA or expoxy to glue the tube

Wizened of Oz your mulga split because of the over heating while drilling high speed is recomended but draw back the bit 1/4" frequantly when you arrive near the end drill slowly here's a Mulga crocht Baron

rodent
24th January 2006, 03:16 AM
right i use a cross slide vice with a vertical v slot . then idont go over 500 rpm. i use air too blow out all the dust and shavings which also is used too cool down the drill bit .then most importantly i use a dewalt drill bit i cant recall the name ill get back too you on that it has been ground back from the wings and has a center raised with the tip ground at the same as a standard drill bit the americans call it a power point brill bit . it will drill wood corrian metal ,dosent wander as much as other bits. i have drilled out pens and have goten 11.9 mm pens out of 12mm corrian . its best if you have got the blank resting on some wood too stop blowout which is commen with corrian.