PDA

View Full Version : Free Bricks

cathnniv
27th December 2005, 08:24 PM
Hi,
I'm just wondering if anyone knows where i can get some either free or very cheap bricks?
I live in Goulburn NSW and need enough to build a 20metre front fence double brick with pillars.
It will be rendered so any old brick will do.

I'm thinking maybe house demolishers? Where do i find them and do they sell, get you to take away etc?

Sorry i have no idea.

bitingmidge
27th December 2005, 09:07 PM
Cath,

Demolition bricks won't be cheap. They have to be perfectly free of dags of mortar before you can lay them, and that is back breaking or impossible work, unless you get a hold of some oldies laid in lime mortar, then it's just really dull hard boring tiring work.

Try scrounging leftovers from building sites in exchange for a little clean up work.

cheers,

P;)

Harry72
27th December 2005, 10:43 PM
If you got a air compressor and a chipper gun you can clean bricks with a little work... you should be able to find the bricks for free, put an add in the local paper.(remember people pay to dispose of old unclean bricks, works out cheaper for both partys!)

cathnniv
31st December 2005, 10:57 AM
Thankyou, i wasn't sure if that was a done thing (Pay to take away) so i'll start searching and put an ad in the paper.
Always helpful.
Thanx

Iain
31st December 2005, 11:14 AM
Try a few clearing sales on farms, amazing what crud cockies hoard.

Feralbilly
1st January 2006, 10:20 AM
Hi Cath,
Sorry about the late response. Some time ago when I lived in NZ and wanted some bricks, I went to a reasonably local brickworks and they told me I could take as many as I wanted from their rejects pile.
Some of the rejects were obvious as to why they were rejected, but a large number I could not tell from the "acceptable" article. Anyway my mate and myself filled several trailers full for nothing of bricks that did me for building a fuel store and shed.
Might be worth a try if you can locate a convenient brickworks.
Billy

seanr
5th January 2006, 07:21 PM
the cost of transport from NZ would be very expensive:D :D

cathnniv
5th January 2006, 10:25 PM
Thanx for the replies, i put an add in the paper with only one phone call asking how many free bricks i had?? typical.

The local brickworks here has been closed for some time now and is now a GREAT secondhand wood etc place i visit regularly. They have a ton of bricks on pallets still but won't sell them.

As for the demo yards i'm yet to contact. Am in the middle of getting the front windows rubbed back ready to install so the fence is on hold for a week or so.

Being in a country town i find it's harder to come by this sort of thing.

inferno6688
6th January 2006, 07:40 AM
I would would look out for buildinf be demolished, and go ask them. Or ring up demolishers and see if they have any projects that have bricks. as others have said the they pay haulage and tips fees to get rid of it, so they most certainly will be keen for u to take it away!