PDA

View Full Version : while you are turning

bikerboy
27th December 2005, 10:52 PM
so what music do ya all have on (if any that is) when you are turning, and looking for that deep down inspiration...as for me it's
ZZTop, guns&roses,Ozzy, meat loaf.....and so on, might be a bit to heavy for sum'a you ow boys................sorry this thread is nothing to do with turning wood, but it's the end of xmas, the start of a new year just around the corner, so all the best for 2006, and hope that your xmas went ok, keep on turning, and keep on rockin.....

imdusty
28th December 2005, 12:13 AM
It sounds like we have about the same music collection. When I go into a store to look for music, I go directly to the bargain bin to see wat treasures I can find. I always tell my wife "Look, so-and-so really screwed up and put this in the bargain bin! Let's get out of here before they realize what they've done!"

Skew ChiDAMN!!
28th December 2005, 12:48 AM
My tastes are varied, from Bach thru Pink Floyd to Black Sabbath, but usually my selection has more to do with keeping others out of my shed than promoting inspiration.

I've even considered stooping to Val Doonican or Nana Mouskouri, but it rather defeats the purpose when it keeps me outta the shed too. :D

Harry72
28th December 2005, 01:44 AM
ZZTop, guns&roses,Ozzy, meat loaf.....and so on, might be a bit to heavy for sum'a you ow boys....
He he he Heavy how bout MuDvAyNe!
While working in my workshop I have a set speakers hooked up too my computer's HT amp(inside the house) so I just hit random play on windows media player.
I prob a have a bit different tastes to others here, the main stuff I listen too while workin is usually heavy with a very strong beat
Prodigy
Jet
System of a down
The Offspring(the fav)
Green Day
Audioslave
Limpbizkit
Foo Fighters
MuDvAyNe
Slip Knot
Old Metalica, Iron Madien, Judas preist

Then I'll stretch too easy listening stuff like
Missy Higgins
Ben folds
Cake
The Cat Empire
John Butler Trio, Just to name a few!

Hey BB whats yer fav ZZtop album? Mines Tre's Hobre's(real ZZ)lost my copy thohttp://www.ubeaut.biz/suicide.gif

I cant play any LZep in the workshop... I keep breaking out in a big air guitar solo, scared I might chop me fingers off!http://www.ubeaut.biz/scared2.gif

bitingmidge
28th December 2005, 08:35 AM
scared I might chop me fingers off!

I never play music loud enough to hear when I have a machine running for that reason. It's too easy to be distracted.

But then, my tastes are pretty eclectic, country rock blues roots jazz or anything with a mando in it.

P

:D :D :D

smeds
28th December 2005, 10:03 AM
good call harry72, nice to see someone with good taste in music, i enjoy those bands with my 15 year old son but what about regurgitator and jermeroqoi to add to the list

DPB
28th December 2005, 03:26 PM
ABC Classic FM.:)

Auld Bassoon
28th December 2005, 05:34 PM
ABC Classic FM.:)

Yep. The radio in the shed, the one in the kitchen, the hifi in the living room, ditto the study, and the car radio - all tuned to Classic FM.

Sad really:p

Cheers!

John Saxton
28th December 2005, 09:39 PM
Like Midge said,when turning I prefer to hear what the chisels doing with the wood on the lathe.
The slightest imperfection in the wood will be detected by the chisel and for that reason I dont have the radio on moreover when woodturning...I have had numerous close encounters and I believe your senses are more finely tuned if no outside distraction is current.

Knew a bloke....real good turner ,long since moved on had this one experience whilst having the radio on in his shed ...bowl he was turning flew apart and sconed him...he woke up on the floor by his lathe with the lathe still running and the bowl strewn over all parts of his shed let alone his skull which was covered in blood.

Popular likeable bloke around town, named a park after him when he passed on.

Take Care
Cheers:)

DanP
28th December 2005, 09:59 PM
Cricket when it's on. Footy when it's on. Radio most of the other times. Sometimes break out a CD and put on Silverchair, Chilli Peppers, Van Halen, Live. Fav album is propably 'Californication' by the Red Hot Chilli Peppers.

bdar
28th December 2005, 10:31 PM
AC/DC, Deep Purple, Dio, Rainbow, Blue Oyster Cult, Ozzy, Black Sabbath, Golden Earring, Iron Maiden, Iron Butterfly, ZZ Top; Degulleo would be the best album followed by El Loco; Led Zepplin and Jimi Hendrix. These are all on the play list in my. Also have sandalwood incense burning while I turn.

Harry72
29th December 2005, 07:11 AM
good call harry72, nice to see someone with good taste in music, i enjoy those bands with my 15 year old son but what about regurgitator and jermeroqoi to add to the list
Yup them too... spelt Jamiroquai... had to reach for the cover!:)
Forgot to add me all time fav band, PowderFinger... its very good quality music thats well written Bernard is tops, seen them play live 4 times now!

Neil
29th December 2005, 05:10 PM
Well said John.... Nothing to overshadow the sound of the tool and the timber. Definitely not an MP3 player or anything else that plugs into the ears and that includes earmuffs and earplugs.

The slightest little click comimg from the timber when turning could spell disaster. Many a skull has been saved by hearing an imperfection before feeling or seeing it.

Cheers - Neil :)

PS of course my choice if I did listen would have to be good ol vintage rock n roll but will listen to almost anything, swing, clasical, motown, even John Farnham and Human Nature. Hate wailing (me dog died an me missus left me fer another shiela) country and loathe drug f#&ked music.

Harry72
29th December 2005, 05:33 PM
Well i should be ok then... as I dont do any turning!(Hmm Im posting in the wrong section:) )

Utuk_Xul
1st January 2006, 06:04 PM
I listen to alot of Prog/Death/Black/Doom metal myself. Bands like Queensryche, My Dying Bride, Anathema, Arcturus, Cradle of Filth, Morbid Angel...etc... :)

Of course I also listen to Jazz/Fusion and Dark Wave. Being a guitarist I can't leave out Steve Vai, Satriani, Eric Johnson, Scott Henderson/Tribal Tech... the list goes on...

GC
1st January 2006, 08:26 PM
I'd agree with Midge and John Saxton.

I love music on but not when using chisels.
All other times yes.

I had a burl plate self destruct years ago, I heard a change in the pitch moved away and watched it embed itself in the roof and wall.

would of been nasty!

GC

Grumpy John
2nd January 2006, 12:15 PM
I'll listen to anything from 4 Non Blondes to ZZ Top, but prefer the classics: Cream, Hendrix, Doors and of course King Crimson.

ribot
6th January 2006, 07:18 PM
Sorry but it has to be said. There are two kinds of music I won't listen to and they are country, and Western.
Otherwise
Eels
John Butler
Chemical Bros
Classic FM
Sonny Terry, Brownie Mcgee
John Lee Hooker
Led-Zep etc
Missy Higgins
Green Day
JJJ
Muddy Waters
Morning of the earth ( album)

Taffy
10th January 2006, 09:06 PM
Im surprised you guys still have hearing, with the machines runing I would have to turn the volume up, I don't want to become the bloke down the road that makes all that racket. besides I like to hear what the wood is telling me as it turns. Like WATCH IT!! I'M ABOUT TO FLY OFF!!!

Enjoy in whatever mode you feel comfortable, but don't mistake noise for music.

RufflyRustic
11th January 2006, 10:02 AM
Generally I'll listen to one of the Brisbane FM radio stations eg NOVA, but when the neighbour over the back fence uses too many $#@&*^words in a row, I'll turn the music up, preferably something that will really nark them as they've narked me. let's see:

Prince
The Cars
Pseudo Echo
Shania Twain
Nik Kershaw
A bit of mixed country n western pop
Journey
Go West
Kim Wild
heaps of 80's and 90's artists
Icehouse
Maroon5
Shannon Noll
Queen
ZZTop
Screaming Jets

But mostly I just listen to the birds sing.

cheers
RufflyRustic

Andraax
11th January 2006, 10:58 AM
My tastes are varied, from Bach thru Pink Floyd to Black Sabbath, but usually my selection has more to do with keeping others out of my shed than promoting inspiration.

I've even considered stooping to Val Doonican or Nana Mouskouri, but it rather defeats the purpose when it keeps me outta the shed too. :D

My mother-in-law love Nana Mouskouri and ALWAYS has it playing when we visit - hence the reason I need to check the car over after a long interstate trip, and help outside where ever possible <shudder even thinking about it>

Andraax
11th January 2006, 11:00 AM
Hmmm since I don't seam to get around to setting up a radio/tape/cd in the workshop. But probably a more calssical bent such as Orf's Carmena Buran (sp?)

MR.FREEZ
11th January 2006, 02:42 PM
i acttualy dont listen to anything, i just like the sound of the machine and cutting:o