PDA

View Full Version : Determination of the function of this Wadkin machine.

Pantherea
9th February 2023, 06:12 AM
The Wadkin machine is a sanding machine of some sort (I think) but it is missing many parts. The Model is GMA 144 Test 8741.
Can anybody please regognise what it was designed to do ?
Plrease see the attached photos.

Pantherea
9th February 2023, 06:25 AM
I posted this thread a few moments ago but the photos did not appear.
Please assist with the function of this Wadkin sanding machine ( I think)'
Model GMA 144 Test no. 8741 therefore manufactured 1938.
Please see the two photos.

I hqve tried to do the thread but have been disallowed as despite having logedin the system states that I am not logged in.
What do I do now ?

FlaminGunz
9th February 2023, 06:33 AM
Upload to Imgur and post the link? Easier to use than the forum attachment function

Mobyturns
9th February 2023, 08:00 AM
I posted this thread a few moments ago but the photos did not appear.
Please assist with the function of this Wadkin sanding machine ( I think)'
Model GMA 144 Test no. 8741 therefore manufactured 1938.
Please see the two photos.

I hqve tried to do the thread but have been disallowed as despite having logedin the system states that I am not logged in.
What do I do now ?

As a new member there may be a restriction on the forum functionality available to you i.e. posting images.

DJ’s Timber
10th February 2023, 10:40 AM
As a new member there may be a restriction on the forum functionality available to you i.e. posting images.

There are no restrictions on posting images for new members, in fact Pantherea has managed to post images in previous threads, so not sure on way they are having trouble posting images now :shrug::shrug:

NCArcher
10th February 2023, 12:02 PM
I just had a look at your post on the Canadian woodworking forum and to be honest they are pretty poor photos.
Could be anything from those. They don't show any detail. Here you go.

522689 522690

Pantherea
11th February 2023, 05:06 AM
Thank you NC Archer, That is the problem ,what you saw is all there is.
Pantherea

clear out
11th February 2023, 07:46 AM
Possibly an early stroke sander with built in dust extraction.
When I surface I’ll check out a few cattledogs.
H.

clear out
11th February 2023, 08:28 AM
In my late 20s cattledog lists a GM stroke sander as pictured below.
My 1940 one has a GV.
H.522701522702522703

The Spin Doctor
12th February 2023, 05:14 PM
The Wadkin machine is a sanding machine of some sort (I think) but it is missing many parts. The Model is GMA 144 Test 8741.
Can anybody please regognise what it was designed to do ?
Plrease see the attached photos.

For sanding large surfaces, before wide belt sanders came on the scene. Very versatile, much more so than a wide belt sander, and forgiving when you get good on them, but slower. Can also sand curved surfaces if you're adept at using one. I used to work on that model decades ago. Maintenance on it was almost zero, unlike modern wide belt sanders.

Don't let the new kid in the shop use it though and put a small piece on but at the wrong end... Thankfully he only broke a belt.