PDA

View Full Version : Benchtop thicknesser - rebooted...

Mr Brush
28th December 2005, 05:53 PM
I'm in the market for a benchtop thicknesser.....just been reading through a few of threads on here, but I'm trying to bring this up to date.

I have read lots of reviews (mostly contradictory !), but when it comes time to buy I find that hardly any of the machines reviewed seem to be available any more.

My choice is between:

(1) The Ryobi/GMC/AnyBrand cheapie (per the thread on this subject), i.e. just good enough to do the job for minimum $$$. Of these, I'd probably go for the Ryobi AP1300AK (or whatever it is called these days).

(2) Something better and more expensive - and this is where the problem comes. My local Carbatec man told me that both Delta and DeWalt had been bought out by Deck&Blacker, neatly explaining why they no longer have the Delta machine. The latest DeWalt 3 blade jobby looks wonderful, but the lack of places selling/supporting DeWalt is a concern (for a $1000+ machine). Take those out and you are left with Makita 2012NB (expensive and not necessarily better performance), JET??, or Carbatec own brand.

I guess I'm looking for suggestions/recommendations. The machine is for hobbyist use only, so wouldn't get too much of a thrashing. Minimal snipe is desirable, as is an effective dust collection attachment (just one more attraction of the DeWalt DW735).

Any assistance much appreciated.

echnidna
28th December 2005, 05:57 PM
I have the GMC and theres nothing better.

Mr Brush
28th December 2005, 06:05 PM
Hmmm....maybe a trip to Bunnies is called for !

Have you found the snipe on the GMC a problem, or are there ways/modifications to get around this? I guess the warranty is a plus, and presumably replacement blades are easy to get.

The review I read of the Makita machine (at over 3 times the price of the GMC....) said that it also produced moderate snipe, so I can't see the benefit in the Makita over the GMC.

echnidna
28th December 2005, 06:13 PM
There was a thread on here comparing planers (thicknessers) and none of the brands were rubbished.
My old carbatec (which I really loved) wore out so I replaced with a GMC as an interim measure, but its a good machine worth keeping.
Using a false table I can thickness down to 1mm thick.
Snipe is negligble as long as I feed sensibly (far less than the carbatec)

Mr Brush
28th December 2005, 06:25 PM
Thanks Bob - I'll get me off to take a closer look at the GMC. There may be no need to spend any more than that.

I guess I've been burned with my experiences of buying cheaper handtools (e.g. Record planes.....'nuff said), and don't want to make the same mistakes with powertools. I did eventually tune my Record planes to kinda work (after weeks of flattening, filing, sweating, etc.), but the lesson was rammed home recently when my first Veritas plane arrived !

Bodgy
28th December 2005, 06:58 PM
I've got the Ryobi, same as the GMC, Timbecon, Carbetec et al - just different colours.

I bought the Ryobi cause it has the extra dust extraction hood and Mitre 10 threw in a few extras. Only about $40 more.

Very happy with it.

zenwood
28th December 2005, 07:16 PM
Happy with my Ryobi AP13. Get a PVC stormpipe dust extractor and use a melmine baseboard to eliminate snipe (I've yet to do this last).

See http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com/reviews/ryobiap13.htm

See also:

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=18415&highlight=thicknesser

markharrison
28th December 2005, 07:26 PM
The latest DeWalt 3 blade jobby looks wonderful, but the lack of places selling/supporting DeWalt is a concern (for a $1000+ machine).

Just because you can't buy the DeWalt from your local hardware store should not be be a problem. After all, there isn't a Hare and Forbes or Jet dealer in every suburb either.

Auld Bassoon
28th December 2005, 07:28 PM
G'day Basil :)

I have one of the Timbecon 12 1/2" thicknessers - http://www.timbecon.com.au/assets/images/products/mb-1931.jpg (javascript:popup('/assets/popup/productimages.aspx?ProductID=8689')) and it's not bad. Of course I would like something with more width capacity, and a better depth of cut adjustment scale, but for just over $300, the faults it has I can live with:D

Be aware, though, that freight can be an issue, and also that it's a (really) noisy bugger. Should you choose this, be sure to get the dust collector, as it's a $50 option, but one you wouldn't want to not have - assuming that you have a DC as well... All of these types of machines (jointers as well) spew out huge amounts of debris, and if you don't like wading knee deep in - make sure that you have a suitably powerful dusty;)

Cheers!

Mr Brush
28th December 2005, 08:57 PM
Thanks to all for your responses - I think the GMC/Ryobi class of machine will do for me, since others seem to be getting good use out of them.

With careful attention to dust extraction (zenwood - thanks for the links), and some lateral thinking to extend support beyond the infeed/outfeed rollers, we should be up and running in no time.

First project after this will be making up a sled so that I can joint boards and get a flat side prior to thicknessing. The dedicated jointer is some way off I'm afraid. :(

Barry_White
28th December 2005, 09:57 PM
My local Carbatec man told me that both Delta and DeWalt had been bought out by Deck&Blacker, neatly explaining why they no longer have the Delta machine.

I think you will find that DeWalt has been part of Black & Decker since the year dot.

BTW I have a Ryobi AP1300 and I find it does the job ok.

bloggs1968
28th December 2005, 10:11 PM
Hi,

I've got a 13" Jet deluxe thicnesser and are very pleased with it. It cops a fair caning in my business ( boatbuilding) and gives a very smooth cut( snipe is not an issue). I got the dust hood with it and really, there are no chips whatsoever. Accurate depth scales, two feed speeds and just a good alround unit. I got mine from Gary Pye woodturning ( do a search) and was really happy with the pricing and service.

regards,

AD

Mr Brush
28th December 2005, 10:23 PM
Barry - you may be right about DeWalt; but why do they seem to have such poor distribution? My local DeWalt retailer is happy to sell handheld powertools, but doesn't seem keen to deal in any of the more esoteric items. He hadn't heard of the DW735 thicknesser (current model), had never sold one, and thought the DW733 was the latest and greatest. Doesn't inspire confidence.

Totally off topic, but by a spooky coincidence, our new Angus bull is also named 'Barry' after Barry White. He's big, he's black, and he's the king of lurv (we hope......).:)

Mr Brush
28th December 2005, 10:32 PM
Thanks bloggs - that JET unit looks interesting. Gary Pye has it listed at $699, but I'll have to check out his freight charges to get it here. At least the JWP-13DX has one feature (2 feed speeds) to justify the higher price. The slow feed on a 2 blade cutterhead might give a final finish closer to a 3 blade machine.

Barry_White
29th December 2005, 07:20 AM
Barry - you may be right about DeWalt; but why do they seem to have such poor distribution? My local DeWalt retailer is happy to sell handheld powertools, but doesn't seem keen to deal in any of the more esoteric items. He hadn't heard of the DW735 thicknesser (current model), had never sold one, and thought the DW733 was the latest and greatest. Doesn't inspire confidence.

Totally off topic, but by a spooky coincidence, our new Angus bull is also named 'Barry' after Barry White. He's big, he's black, and he's the king of lurv (we hope......).:)

Mr Brush
I see you are in the Southern Highlands if you are close to Canberra I think there is a Gasweld Tool Centre there.

They carry a whole range of DeWalt gear as well as the Ryobi range. As their ads say "Selling Tools Not Toys". No GMC or Ozitso there. We have one in Tamworth and they have an incredible range of gear.

Pat
29th December 2005, 07:33 AM
Gasweld is in Wollongong too :D

NSW WOLLONGONG
WOLLONGONG NSW
82-88 FLINDERS ST
WOLLONGONG NSW 2519
PH: 0242271611 FAX: 0242264100

ACT/CANBERRA
FYSHWICK ACT
1/137 GLADSTONE ST
FYSHWICK ACT