PDA

View Full Version : Building over deep sewage.

Beaton
29th December 2005, 06:36 PM
Im thinking of building a shed in my back yard about a 6x6. There is a spot i had picked out for it behind the fig tree down the back in the corner of the yard, after closer inspection i found the the deep sewage runs about a 1m in from ther back fence.

I have been told that you can not build over this line and that you have to build a meter and a half from the line. my question is has anybody had the same problem and is their a way around it, the inspection point is in the other corner of the block.

bitingmidge
29th December 2005, 06:42 PM
In Qld it wouldn't be a problem as long as it isn't on an easement.

You will have to have an engineer design the footings and dig a pile each side of the sewer line and deeper than it, then bridge the footing between the two piles so there is no building load on the sewer line.

You may have different regulations, so you should check with your local authority (Council), but technically it's not a problem.

cheers,

P

Sturdee
29th December 2005, 07:46 PM
In Qld it wouldn't be a problem as long as it isn't on an easement.

You will have to have an engineer design the footings and dig a pile each side of the sewer line and deeper than it, then bridge the footing between the two piles so there is no building load on the sewer line.

You may have different regulations, so you should check with your local authority (Council), but technically it's not a problem.

cheers,

P

In Victoria you will need the approval, in writing, from whoever owns the easement.

If they grant approval it will always be on the condition that if they ever need access to their pipes they will demolish, AT YOUR EXPENSE, whatever is in the way and they will NOT replace it.

Otherwise no problems.:rolleyes:

Peter.

Ivan in Oz
29th December 2005, 08:12 PM
FIG Tree:eek: :eek:
I'd get rid of the Fig Tree 1st

They are BAD Rooters:eek: :rolleyes:

You know what I mean:o

Shedhand
29th December 2005, 08:25 PM
Im thinking of building a shed in my back yard about a 6x6. There is a spot i had picked out for it behind the fig tree down the back in the corner of the yard, after closer inspection i found the the deep sewage runs about a 1m in from ther back fence.

I have been told that you can not build over this line and that you have to build a meter and a half from the line.
If you go to the local council you will more than likely not get approval. If it's like here in Tassie you can't put a slab or footings within a 1 metre area either side of the centre line of the pipe. Then again if you don't go to the council then the chances are that they will never know...unless that FIG TREE decides to root into the pipe and they need to fix it. And the odds are the tree huggers have got the council to ban Fig tree removal.:mad:
Do you need building approval for the shed?

My problem's worse. I've got sewer pipes only 3" under my lawn so I had to move my new shed even further down the yard. And I can't put a concrete driveway to my shed because of it. :mad: Council told me the pipe was 2' 6" underground.:(:(
You'll just have to move the shed cobber or get a diffferent shape, say 8mx4m.
Good luck with it mate.

maglite
30th December 2005, 03:18 AM
The local council wont be able to help.
You should have a talk with the water corp but from memory it has always been a minimum 1-1.5m from the pipe in WA.

This has been applied to the last 3 places that i have owned.

Cheers
Steve