PDA

View Full Version : Yellow Streaks in Timber

Optimark
31st March 2023, 04:29 PM
I started this bowl at around 350mm diameter, however huge stress fractures on one side made me rethink. After cutting off one side, the bowl was downsized to 172mm diameter and 48mm high.

Nice to turn, but full of unexpected insect holes and little cracks as I slowly turned it. As it was a nature strip find, I have no idea, but it is a hardwood, albeit a light hardwood, at least I think it is a hardwood.

Once I had sanded it the yellow streaks became apparent, with the addition of Tripoli (EEE U Beaut) the yellow streaks really stood out. Any ideas as to what it may be?

Mick.

TTIT
31st March 2023, 07:01 PM
Looks a bit like Mango and the yellow streaks would just be the fungal attack starting . . . but it could be just about anything!! :shrug:

DJ’s Timber
31st March 2023, 07:09 PM
Was there any bark on it? Rough or smooth, thick or thin?

Optimark
31st March 2023, 08:01 PM
TTIT, I have done quite a bit of mango recently when I got given a stash of it, So not Mango.

DJ's nope nothing, it was on a nature strip and was completely bare. My original intention was to make a platter type of something as I had around 350mm to 360mm circle by about 80mm in depth. However as I turned it slowly the heat (I think) from the turning, with a very sharp chisel to boot, somehow generated some alarming cracks along one side.

I put it away for a week to think about it, then pulled it out yesterday, chopped off the cracked third ending up with this, which I finished today.

Mick.

tony_A
1st April 2023, 08:47 AM
Looks fungal to me as well, have seen similar staining in eucalypt that has been left outside somewhere that is damp.

DJ’s Timber
1st April 2023, 11:24 AM
Ok, looks like one of the stringybarks, Messmate can get that yellow streak sometimes, I see it in some of the firewood I split.