PDA

View Full Version : Texturing tools

Lyle
31st March 2023, 05:25 PM
Besides the Wagner and Sorby brands, are there any other options worth a look.
Thanks
Lyle

Skew ChiDAMN!!
31st March 2023, 08:12 PM
Henry Taylor's Decorating Elf isn't bad.

Between them, the Wagner texturing tool, the Elf and Sorby's texture tool cover all the bases that a rotary texture tool can have. (ie. the x-, y- and z-axis of rotation.)

Any other rotary tool is pretty much a variation of the theme. Not necessarily better or worse.

Then there are the chatter tools. I don't know of any commercial models off the top of my head, but it doesn't take any great skill to knock one together from old hacksaw blades or similar. (I've even just clamped some blades together using a pair of vice-grips and used that! Although I won't recommend it.)

Can't think of any other variations off the top o' my head, but there're probably a few more people'd mention that would have me facepalming and going "how'd I forget about that!" :rolleyes:

Willy Nelson
2nd April 2023, 08:12 AM
Good Morning Ladies and Gentlemen

I have a Robert Sorby, which gets almost daily use at times.

My firend, a prolific turner has a Vermec texturing tool, which does a superb job. Vermec make great stuff

I was given a texturing tool 6 months ago from a deceased estate, a square wood handle 70mm square, lucky I have big hands, a nice stainless steel shaft and some sort of gear on the end. Well, what a waste of time, does nothing. I will get a photo and post it.

Robert Sorby was $270 in 1996 when I bought it, IIRC. I thought bloody expensive, but in hindsight, an excellent purchase

Willy
Jarrahland