PDA

View Full Version : vase with brass accent

hughie
2nd April 2023, 09:02 PM
I turned this quite awhile ago, it came up with a couple of crack on both sides and could figure the best way to handle them. So chucked back on the shelf and left it there maybe a few years and now I have filled the cracks with powered brass, they will have a higher degree of shine after buffing.
As far as I can remember, its a piece of Lancewood I got from TTIT aka Vern in Emerald, if hes around he might chime in on what it is. Its hard and takes finish extremely well and the sap wood is of a thickness that I can work with when doing spirals.
Anyway its 200x100 oiled with a concoction whose exact contents I have no idea as I have been topping it up off and on for quite a while but it works well. When dry, I can buff it up to some sort of soft sheen. The oil will highlight any spots that need any attention as well.

TTIT
5th April 2023, 08:40 PM
.........................As far as I can remember, its a piece of Lancewood I got from TTIT aka Vern in Emerald, if hes around he might chime in on what it is. Its hard and takes finish extremely well and the sap wood is of a thickness that I can work with when doing spirals..............................

Certainly looks like Lancewood . . . or Yarran :shrug: If it smelt of violets it was Yarran.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
6th April 2023, 12:41 AM
Anyway its 200x100 oiled with a concoction whose exact contents I have no idea as I have been topping it up off and on for quite a while but it works well.

:D Sounds like something that'd be uttered in my shed: "What ratios do you use?" "Dunno. I just keep topping it up until it smells right."

hughie
6th April 2023, 07:55 AM
:D Sounds like something that'd be uttered in my shed: "What ratios do you use?" "Dunno. I just keep topping it up until it smells right."

Yeah, somebody asked what the mix was a while back. I had to think about it and realised I had no damn idea :D