PDA

View Full Version : Fixing doors...need help

bitza
30th December 2005, 08:59 AM
A few days ago I broke a door. The top hinges stayed on but the entire part of the bottom hinge came out. They were not loose they are simply just pulled out. I tryed drilling them back in and they do not work cause they were pulled out.

Is there a way I can fix the door without replacing the frame? If so waht do I need?

sinjin1111
30th December 2005, 11:39 AM
Hi, if it has come away you can do 2 things. one is to drill out the old holes with say 1/2" drill and then glue in some plugs. Not dowels as you will be screwing back into end grain.
The second...if the area is damaged. i generally rout out the area and glue in a new piece of timber and start again.
Sinjin1111

Skew ChiDAMN!!
30th December 2005, 01:11 PM
The first thing I'd do is grab a screwdriver or similar and perform the "gouge" test. Just to make sure the reason they pulled out wasn't rot hidden beneath the paint. Bathroom and external doors can suffer from this. If rot is present then you really should look at removing/replacing the jamb, if only to make sure the house-frame underneath isn't also affected.

Assuming all is fine and it was just "one of those things" and not rot, I'd probably use some spaghetti. This is just coloured plastic tubing that expands as you insert a screw, readily available from any home hardware. They're sized to suit different screw gauges, so make sure you get the right size. ;) Basically, it's just redrill the holes so the spag is a tight push-in fit and remount the hinge.

fxst
30th December 2005, 02:54 PM
if its not off a boat I would reask the question in 'Home Renovations' rather than in a boating area Our resident growler will probably be rude again huh Chris? :D
Pete

Skew ChiDAMN!!
30th December 2005, 07:34 PM
Bugger. I really should check what forum's the threads actually posted in when rading "new posts." :o

But the basic premises still stand.

Christopha
31st December 2005, 08:19 AM
Me rude??? To complete Wallies who must be mostly illiterate, totally stupid and completely ignorant?? NEVER!!!

fxst
31st December 2005, 01:15 PM
Me rude??? To complete Wallies who must be mostly illiterate, totally stupid and completely ignorant?? NEVER!!!

Well there ya go Chris is being nice...........must be the silly season for sure :D
why cant I think of nice ways of saying things like you? I guess I need more practice. Any complete wallies who must be mostly illiterate, totally stupid and completely ignorant please apply here :D :D
Pete