PDA

View Full Version : Dust Collection duct at lathe

Mulgabill
30th December 2005, 12:04 PM
Its 35c in the shed at the moment, so I thought I would bring this problem in-doors.
I'm pondering the best method of attaching the DC duct to the lathe and still give the most flexibility in movement.:confused:
I have seen fencing wire, cable/rope from over-head, tape to the banjo, but I am looking for a solution, shall we say, more advanced.
How have others resolved this? if indeed you have.

Wizened of Oz
30th December 2005, 01:17 PM
Have to admit that mine still exists only in my head but I intend to attach with rare earth magnets.

Kind regards
Brian

bitingmidge
30th December 2005, 01:24 PM
Occy straps round the bed.

Can't get any simpler or more flexible. Sometimes we go looking for solutions that cause more bother than the problem.

cheers,

P

Skew ChiDAMN!!
30th December 2005, 01:26 PM
I've found a solution of sorts that does me nicely.

I've an MC-900 lathe and found the factory banjo/extension has a lot of shortcomings. After buggerising around with it on one fiddly job I decided to use the banjo from another (Leda) lathe, which doesn't fit the bed properly but proved more usable for that particular job.

I didn't remove the old one though, I just slid it outside the tailstock. While fiddling with the DC port I came up with the idea of using the old banjo to hold a length of gal pipe, with the DC scoop mounted to the top with a hose-clamp or three. It worked surprisingly well, letting me set the scoop at any position and angle I desired. :)

This will become a permanent fixture, once I find something else suitable to replace it without stealing bits from the other lathe.

Big Mac
30th December 2005, 03:08 PM
I have on my lathe a flexible 4inch hose.It allows me to swivel, lift it up or down,or to push it it back or pull forward.It takes most of the fine dust that otherwise would be inhaled.I can also remove it and attache a fitting with smaller hose to cleam up around the lathe.I turn up to 400 diam. and it does not get in the way Attached is 2 photos . Neil

Tornatus
30th December 2005, 09:53 PM
I've found a solution of sorts that does me nicely.

I didn't remove the old one though, I just slid it outside the tailstock. While fiddling with the DC port I came up with the idea of using the old banjo to hold a length of gal pipe, with the DC scoop mounted to the top with a hose-clamp or three. It worked surprisingly well, letting me set the scoop at any position and angle I desired. :)

Hey, Skewch - this must be one of those classic situations where a couple of piccies would shed (pardon!) great light on the subject!

As a fellow MC900 driver, I have been trying to figure out how best to set up an old desk-lamp cantilever arm with a dust-port attached, so I can just adjust the position to suit the workpiece - without interfering with tool use and general visibility. So far, I have determined that the optimum position for fixing the swivel base of the arm is a point in mid-air about 200mm above/behind and two-thirds of the way along the lathe bed ..... skyhook, anyone?

I'm sure a lot of us would also appreciate it if you could tell us when you find the best replacement for that bloody banjo!

smeds
31st December 2005, 01:12 PM
try Gregory machinery in brisbane, they have their own sliding system for this prob, they screw to the back of the lathe bed to allow the hose full travell length, as well as the other brackets that come with it to allow for up & down & in/out travel.The system works pretty good and is nicely finished off.

rsser
31st December 2005, 02:45 PM
Looking for high volume low pressure extraction: old Xpelair kitchen exhaust fan on exterior wall behind me, 8" gal duct fitted to it running overhead, then fitted to that 8" flexible duct that drops down behind the bed and can be moved left to right as suits the piece.

Other than that, a ceiling mounted box filter, a box air conditioner with 3M Filtrete over the mesh filter for those hot days, and a filtered visor when sanding.

Fridge is next for, um, filtering the kidneys. They get mighty dusty.

Mulgabill
31st December 2005, 07:58 PM
Thanks All for your suggestions and your own solutions.

I have a mental picture of what I would consider to be a workable solution and now only have to source some suitable parts. It involves a ball joint type of operation, one end screwed to the lathe bed the other, being vertical from the ball joint, with an attachment for the 100mm flexible hose. It's hard to explain further, I only hope my mental notes don't get trashed tonight.:D

beiffe
31st December 2005, 11:17 PM
I have a double bracket (like a U ) fixed to the wall behind the lathe and have a piece of 4 inch downpipe that can slide along the length of the working area and then 200 plastic drain pipe 90 degree bend that fits nicely over that and then have some short pieces of pvc pipe to reach where required. This allows for some length wise movement and enough flexibility to lift to the sanding position etc for good extraction. Have tried just straight pipe for collection and also a storm drain fitting under bed. Now just use the straight pipe with a lip to help dust collection as it can go under the work to catch more.

CHJ
1st January 2006, 04:56 AM
This was my solution, but only of any use if your motor is located in similar position. Has the added bonus of reducing the amount of dust the motor cooling fan distributes around the shop.
http://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5787

Since this UK thread date the setup has been modified slightly to take the 100mm pipe away at right angles underneath the motor because a full width 'worktop' has been fitted underneath the lathe to arrest debris and ease cleaning.

Searching your forum I see a simillar setup but without using the motor for mounting in this thread: http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=18759

DPB
1st January 2006, 12:46 PM
Here's the best article I've read on dust extraction for lathes. I've incorporated some of this on a temporary basis to test the concept and intend to make a more permanent installation based on its success.:)

http://www.laymar-crafts.co.uk/tip15.htm

rsser
1st January 2006, 02:40 PM
Seem to recall Carbatec used to flog a stand that would hold a rectangular intake attached to a 100mm hose. Wasn't too pricey.

DPB
1st January 2006, 03:23 PM
Seem to recall Carbatec used to flog a stand that would hold a rectangular intake attached to a 100mm hose. Wasn't too pricey.

It looks very much like this.:)
http://www.axminster.co.uk//images/products/DES_xl.jpg

Mulgabill
2nd January 2006, 08:09 PM
Thanks to those who have further responded.

Ern & Woodchuck, Yes, I have seen the CT offering, however it does not suit my needs.
CHJ & Woodchuck thanks for your links and Beiffe for some further info.

I will consider this latest info and see what else I can come-up with.
Cheers!

Tornatus
2nd January 2006, 09:22 PM
[quote=CHJ]This was my solution, but only of any use if your motor is located in similar position. Has the added bonus of reducing the amount of dust the motor cooling fan distributes around the shop./quote]

Thanks, CHJ - a very helpful suggestion, as my lathe has a very similar motor configuration, and it has always bothered me that all that dust is being sucked into the motor housing.

Thanks also to all the other people who have posted their ideas, pictures and references - this sort of spontaneous, helpful sharing is what this forum is all about!

ribot
6th January 2006, 07:09 PM
May or may not be of use.
Run a length of 90mm stormwater pipe parallel with your lathe bed, seal the open end and cut a slot the full length of the pipe and fix it close to your lathe bed.

gidgee 1
8th January 2006, 07:06 AM
Works for me.

DPB
9th January 2006, 08:35 AM
Gidgee, welcome to these forums.

Interesting dust collection - but how do you work with that Perspex cover?:confused:

gidgee 1
9th January 2006, 09:50 AM
Hi DPB
The front perspex cover is hinged,but how often do you use a turning tool above centre?

Mulgabill
13th January 2006, 07:36 PM
Hey Gidgee,
Your dust solution has made a mention in the woodturning section of the UK Workshop forum.
How's that! International recognition.:D
http://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5787 (http://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5787)

gidgee 1
14th January 2006, 07:25 PM
nice to see someone has noticed :)
For something so simple it`s hard to believe no-one else is using one!

CanFly
15th January 2006, 03:01 PM
I have a 4 inch dust collection hose attached to a hood behind the lathe bed similar to the commercial ones sold for that purpose, however, I made my own out of plywood that worked reasonably well.
Later I read on a forum that a person had used a cardboard box for the same purpose. I made one out of a cardboard box and find that it is far better than the wooden one! It's very lightweight, is easily moved around the lathe and attached to the bed by a piece of thin plywood glued to the bottom of the box. A spring clamp makes it very easy to move along the bed and back and forth. One plus with this device is that if contact is made with it no damage is done to either the project or the box thereby making it safe to move it very close to the work. The hose that is attached to the inside of the box is long enough to pull out and attach anywhere on the lathe for even better suction when needed.
I have picture of the original hose and magnet set-up on this forum where I used small pieces of metal in conjunction with Rare Earth magnets for attaching the hose in various positions. However, I have since ditched that and taped a tin can, (without the ends) into the end of the hose and by using the magnets attached to the inside of the can it can be fastened in virtually any position. It's also useful for adding deflector pieces of cardboard to the end of the hose and these are easily attached with magnets again. The deflectors can be any size, cheap and easy to make, as is the dust hood. The magnets are fastened to a small piece of dowel making them easy to move around.
If anyone would like a picture of this set-up I will provide one.

Ray