PDA

View Full Version : MC900 belts tip

TTIT
1st January 2006, 11:16 PM
When I got my MC900 this time last year, the original Chinese belt started to shred itself after turning just a few items. I couldn't source them out here in the sticks so I called Carbatec and was informed that this was common for the MC900 so I ordered a couple of spares. In the meantime, I didn't want to get caught over the weekend without a belt so I grabbed an 'A' section belt (A22) and put it on. One year and umpteen items later and it still looks brand new :):):)!!!! I hadn't bothered to change it as it actually lowered the speed of the lathe slightly which suited me better. Nice and slow for sanding without burning the fingers but still fast enough to burnish Shellawax on small diameters.
Worth a try if you go through a lot of belts

scooter
2nd January 2006, 11:12 AM
TTIT, good tip for someone there.

Just to piggyback, there is a mob in Hallam called (I think) Total Belts that are a good source for V belts, very cheap when I last bought some rideon mower belts a few years back.

Cheers.................Sean, belt up :)

Skew ChiDAMN!!
3rd January 2006, 12:32 AM
Y'know, I didn't know the belts were anything different until someone else mentioned 'em not long ago?

Mine packed it in a year or two ago so I just plonked in an old fan-belt from one of the old projects. It still whizzes away quite happily. :)

Is there any real difference?

TTIT
4th January 2006, 01:00 AM
Y'know, I didn't know the belts were anything different until someone else mentioned 'em not long ago?

Mine packed it in a year or two ago so I just plonked in an old fan-belt from one of the old projects. It still whizzes away quite happily. :)

Is there any real difference?
With the variable pulley system the MC900's use, I believe a change in belt length changes the ratio of the 2 pulleys and therefore the output speed. The 'A' section belt is almost twice as wide as the Chinese original which may account for it lasting so much longer. Maybe the belt wear problem is not as common as Carbatec thought.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
4th January 2006, 05:04 PM
With the variable pulley system the MC900's use, I believe a change in belt length changes the ratio of the 2 pulleys and therefore the output speed.

You're right, basic nechanics. I didn't think about it when I swapped; I just selected the closest sized belt I had on hand. I've more than a few lying around.

I've been thinking about modifying my MC900 to add a lay shaft, so I could select between "high" and "low" ranges as I'd like around 2:1 reduction to drop the chuck down to about 200rpm. I'd planned to shorten that belt quite considerably for a more compact lay-out... methinks reconsideration is in order!

arose62
4th January 2006, 05:49 PM
The pulley halves are repositionable, too, so you can either adjust your speed(s) somewhat with the standard belt, or negate any adjustment caused by a belt of slightly different length.

I noted that my standard belt rode up very high, so adjusted the pulleys so that its range of travel was further down the pulley sides. Without a tacho of some kind, I can't verify any speed change, though...

Cheers,
Andrew

rsser
4th January 2006, 06:28 PM
Way back when, if a car fanbelt carked it, we'd use a stocking.

('K, no jokes about A or V profile missuses!).

Skew ChiDAMN!!
4th January 2006, 06:56 PM
Driving the ol' yank-tanks, pantihose were the go. Just long enough to let you hook up the air-con and power steering as well.

One of my mates' got nicked for snow-dropping one night, when he broke down out whoop-whoop. The stolen goods? Pantihose. There, but for the grace of God...