PDA

View Full Version : 8" bench grinder choice

Hodgo
11th May 2023, 05:10 PM
I'm looking to buy an 8 " bench grinder after returning a linishall that I wasn't happy with

the ones I am considering for general purpose is a metabo, ITM and abbot and ashby, all in the $300 price range

the one I have taken back did not appear to have wheels or flanges that were true and vibrated a LOT which are things that I dont want on the new one

can anybody comment on any of these or others that I could include in my search

cheers
Hodgo

Mr Brush
11th May 2023, 05:44 PM
The older Abbot & Ashby were good, but I believe current product comes from China (with all the quality variation that implies). Odds of getting a good one are probably about the same as Linishall.

pker
12th May 2023, 08:32 AM
The only thing I can think of, is to ask the store if they could run the grinder that is on display. If it runs to your satisfaction, buy that one .
Chris.

Hodgo
12th May 2023, 07:03 PM
Thanks Chris and Mr B

it seems everything is made in China,, A&A, linishal, metabo and probably heaps(most) of others

I had planned on asking for a demo as you say Chris, however the Metabo was the only one available with out opening boxes etc

so I only got to test the Metabo, which was favourable in the shop and even better once bolted down at home

I found the mounting setup for the wheels to be much better involving a flange bush assy and 32mm bore size which I hope will be readily available whenever

I think a few of these manufacturers are letting themselves down by fitting crap wheels ,some of which are very wobbly

Hats off to Sydney tools for allowing me to swap out the linishal for the metabo

cheers
Hodgo