PDA

View Full Version : Advice on shade cloth?

ReP0
3rd January 2006, 07:26 PM
I'm located in Sydney (Bankstown) and after the recent heatwave followed by mini cyclone my temporary carport vynl cover was ripped to shreads. It was one of those supercheap ones which didn't have any UV protection built into the vynl cover and lasted a total of 7 months before it started to deteriorate.

Anyway the frame is ok so I'm looking at getting a cost effective solution to covering the frame so that it blocks out most of the sun and hail that may fall. The idea was to get some decent shade cloth. The frame isn't heavy duty and I'm worried that anything else like canvas is going to be a little heavy especially when the wind picks up.

I need an area of 4m x 6.5m roughly and of reasonable quality. Has anyone done any shopping around and can point me to a place that is competatively priced when it comes to shade cloth? Bunnings/Mitre10 are the obvious answers but I've rarely found either to be the best value for money so I'm looking at alternatives (yes I'll ring around but sometimes you just need to know where to look for the best deal and thats where you all come into play :)). For example wholesalers, auction sites or just good old fashion competitive resellers. I'll head into bunnings tomorrow out of curiosity but just want to get an idea of what I'll be up for?

A final question is what is the best way to join shadecloth so it stays joined and doesn't tear as I doubt I'm going to get a a single piece of that size.

Thanks!

scooter
3rd January 2006, 07:35 PM
You'll find shadecloth in 1.8 & 3.6m widths.

Sewing would be the best practical way to join it to itself I'd reckon.

I'd expect bunnings price to be pretty good on something competitive like that.

Cheers..................Sean, shady character :cool:

ozwinner
3rd January 2006, 07:43 PM
I'd expect bunnings price to be pretty good on something competitive like that.

And how do you know that??

Al :p

Ivan in Oz
3rd January 2006, 07:48 PM
G'Day Repo,
Have you considered ShadeSail:confused:
To my understanding,
it is more of a Cloth than the open Weave "ShadeCloth"

I'm looking at Shade for the House and carport use as a 2nd benefit.
I've considered it for the West wall of the house.
My other thought was whether to fix it to the house;
with appropriate brackets affixed to the house. [Will LOOK :eek::( ]
OR
Erect support Poles along the house.
I'll require support Poles just inside the Fence line.
Might be a case on
NOT being attached to the House.

Ashore
3rd January 2006, 07:53 PM
RePO , try your local nurserys they often buy shade cloth in bulk and may be able to help , otherwise the Yellow Pages may give some pointers.

scooter
3rd January 2006, 08:44 PM
And how do you know that??

Al :p

To quote Outback

Telekonesis

:D:D

Cheers................Sean ;):cool:

rod1949
4th January 2006, 10:33 AM
Repo, I've seen in Bunnings (Perth) shade cloth with an aluminium reflective foil on one side. Plant Nurseries supposedly use it.

David L
4th January 2006, 03:56 PM
Knitted shade cloth is much stronger than woven, sewing is the strongest way to join, probably by an upolsterer.