PDA

View Full Version : First Turn

CameronPotter
4th January 2006, 10:05 AM
Hi all,

I have finally set up my lathe and proceeded to turn large pieces of wood into shavings (and very small pieces of wood). I can see why people name themselves "wood butcher" and "purveyor of fine shavings" etc... :D

It is a lot of fun, but now I want to do something practical. Specifically, a chess set.

Now I know you can buy chess set parts, but I want to fully turn this one (no carving - well not much).

The problem I have is the knight. I am thinking of making it a two headed horse design.

Turn the horse shape so that it goes all the way around then trim off the sides, leaving a horse head sticking out either side.

Has anyone ever seen anything like this?

Cam

ps I did do a search - I did not find anything on turning knights.

arose62
4th January 2006, 03:30 PM
I've seen a similar technique in a book on traditional European toys.

Various animal toys were made by turning a complicated profile in a wooden ring, then splitting the toys out.

Maybe you could make the knights in two parts - the body, and fasten on a horse-head made the way you're suggesting.

Cheers,
Andrew

CameronPotter
4th January 2006, 03:33 PM
Thanks Andrew,

But I was really trying to make it all one piece, but I might be best off making it in two parts afterall... I might experiment a bit and see what happens.

Cheers

Cam

Skew ChiDAMN!!
4th January 2006, 06:45 PM
Yes, but not for a chess piece. I make stands for pot-pourri bowls, etc. in the same way. There will be carving involved. :D

If you try it, don't forget to post a pic of the result! It sounds... an interesting idea.

Ashore
4th January 2006, 08:35 PM
You could try turning the base then using the chuck offset to turn the head , fiddly but do-able

Wood Butcher
5th January 2006, 08:22 AM
Turn the horse shape so that it goes all the way around then trim off the sides, leaving a horse head sticking out either side.

Has anyone ever seen anything like this?

Cam

I have not seen anyone do a knight like this, but I don't see any reason why it can't be done and think the end result would be rather spectacular and unique. Have a go, might just take a couple of trys to get the profile just right. Don't forget to post a pic when you are done.

PS. Yeah it is fun isn't it:D:D

CameronPotter
5th January 2006, 09:39 AM
Thanks for the encouragement.

I will probably have a go on the weekend - or maybe tonight if I am lucky.

I will certainly post piccies when I am done - if it works!

As for woods, I am thinking maybe black wattle and myrtle might make a good set.

Anyway, I'll you you know how it goes.

Cam

jaspr
5th January 2006, 11:18 AM
Hi CameronPotter

There is an article in the November 2005 issue of "The Australian Woodworker" which has some patterns and cutting lists for chess pieces.

For the knight, the author turned the base and then cut out the head on a band saw, having drawn it up on squared graph paper. The two parts were then joined using a spigot. I would have thought it would also be possible to do it in one piece by turning the base and then mounting the piece in a jig for the bandsaw.

The article also mentions some minimum size requirements for tournament chess, which I wasn't aware of.

jaspr

JackoH
5th January 2006, 04:18 PM
I would strongly reccomend Mike Darlows' latest book "Turned Chessmen" for lots of designs and inspiration.

old logger
5th January 2006, 11:26 PM
Up here in the frozen North,there is a tv show,the woodwright's shop,where the fellow makes eveything the old fashioned way,by hand.He made a chess set with tools as his men.Power tools for one side,and hand tools for the other.It made for an interesting set.Beware though,you will find turning very,very addictive.The only limitation is a person's imagination.Have fun.

DabigO
8th January 2006, 09:58 AM
Do a search on Google for shopsmith turned chess set and it should be the first link. Like someone else said you turn it on 2 axis. I like the 2 headed idea better though, would be interesting.
I haven't got up the courage to make my knights yet.

Shawn