PDA

View Full Version : Interstate Transport of tools

Andraax
4th January 2006, 11:43 AM
Okay I am planning on moving from Canberra back to Melbourne.

I have the following bench mounted tools and was wondering if there is anything I should need to know about transporting them before hand.

Obviously unbolt them from the bench!

Band Saw
Mitre Saw
Rip Saw
Router Table
Drill Press
Sander

Also can anyone recommend a good removalist?

Landseka
4th January 2006, 12:04 PM
Unplug the power cords.....:rolleyes:

burn
4th January 2006, 12:59 PM
You may want to bolt them to boards for the transporting phase. That way, they will have a flat base to sit in withn any boxes you make for them.

Don't forget, you need to drop off all that Huon Pine you found the other month at my place before you go. It will save the transporting costs! :D

Groggy
4th January 2006, 01:00 PM
Also can anyone recommend a good removalist? No, I don't believe they exist. Make sure your insurance is for replacement value. Get a video of your belongings, everything. It will save arguments with the assessor on condition of the items.

Band Saw - remove blade, ease tension, tape knobs etc. Store fence seperately. Wipe top with a protective film.

Mitre Saw - Lock the head, I would also remove the blade. Tape all knobs.

Rip Saw - ? Hand held? Put heavy tape over the teeth. Fold cardboard over the edge then tape it on.

Router Table - remove router bits. Remove router. Make sure you inventory the router bits, they cost more than the router!

Drill Press - wipe down metal with protective film (NOT WD40) Camelia oil is great if you have it. Remove and bits. I would also remove the head, but that's just me. Lower table to lowest position.

Sander - Orbital? Blow dust out and put in a carton. Bench model, same, remove any belts.

Andraax
4th January 2006, 01:08 PM
You may want to bolt them to boards for the transporting phase. That way, they will have a flat base to sit in withn any boxes you make for them.

Don't forget, you need to drop off all that Huon Pine you found the other month at my place before you go. It will save the transporting costs! :D

Sorry to disappoint you in that already down Melbourne (no I wont give out the address) - a friend took them back to Melbourne for me when he visited. Along with a lot of my other stock strapped to the top of his camper - only cost me a slab as well!

Missing having and reasonable stock to work on though - which is probably good as I have to start packing some time.

Andraax
4th January 2006, 01:09 PM
No, I don't believe they exist. Make sure your insurance is for replacement value. Get a video of your belongings, everything. It will save arguments with the assessor on condition of the items.

Band Saw - remove blade, ease tension, tape knobs etc. Store fence seperately. Wipe top with a protective film.

Mitre Saw - Lock the head, I would also remove the blade. Tape all knobs.

Rip Saw - ? Hand held? Put heavy tape over the teeth. Fold cardboard over the edge then tape it on.

Router Table - remove router bits. Remove router. Make sure you inventory the router bits, they cost more than the router!

Drill Press - wipe down metal with protective film (NOT WD40) Camelia oil is great if you have it. Remove and bits. I would also remove the head, but that's just me. Lower table to lowest position.

Sander - Orbital? Blow dust out and put in a carton. Bench model, same, remove any belts.

Thanks for that - I mean a table saw btw - but get the general idea.

Andraax
4th January 2006, 01:10 PM

Mounting to boards is a good idea - hadn't thought of that - was going to go to the local op shop and buy some bags of rags and put them in a box surrounded by them.

Waldo
4th January 2006, 01:16 PM
G'day Aandrax,

When I towed up a trailer from Melbourne to get the rest of my machinery / tools from Brisbane I:

• bandsaw: totally seperated the bandsaw from its stand, took the blade off, and chocked the table of the bandsaw to the trailer so it didn't move.

• drill press: again totally seperated it piece by piece, especially as the column was solid steel.

Had a stack load of other stuff, but only wrote what is applicable in your circumstance.

chrisp
4th January 2006, 01:36 PM
Andraax,

If your table saw is a cabinet saw it maybe advisable to either remove the motor or somehow support the weight of the motor on to the cabinet. From memory, the saw I have, when originally delivered, had a large block of polystyrene foam wedged under the motor and the saw tilted to about 45 degrees to press the motor down hard on to the foam. I've read accounts of trunnions being broken when roughly transporting cabinet saws.

I don't know much about contractor saws, but it woul also seem like a good idea to remove the rear-hanging motor before transporting.

I think Groggy's advice for all the other tools is sound.

Chris

Waldo
4th January 2006, 01:55 PM
had a large block of polystyrene foam wedged under the motor and the saw tilted to about 45 degrees to press the motor down hard on to the foam.

I think Groggy's advice for all the other tools is sound.

Chris

G'day I fully agree with ChrisP and Groggy.