PDA

View Full Version : Router Bits and Alum Profiles for Slot Board

Taz78557
4th January 2006, 05:47 PM
Happy New Year everyone! I have been reading this forum for some weeks now and am amazed by the knowledge that is shared in such good spirit.
After just having priced some slot board shop display fittings I was wondering if anyone knew of a suitable aluminium profile and router bit that is available? These boards appear to be MDF with a number of slots routed in them to accept the profiles.:)

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice,
there is !!!

journeyman Mick
4th January 2006, 10:55 PM
Taz,
The only extrusions I know of suitable for slatwall (or similar) are ones specifically produced for this purpose:rolleyes: . As far as routing it out yourself, well I reckon only someone with a truly masochistic bent would do that!;) As the profile is an inverted "T" you'd need to machine a straight slot before you did the undercut area to prevent the waste packing into the groove and jamming/burning the bit. Even with a straight slot machined there'd be a tendency for the waste to pack into the slot. And of course you'd need to provide a suitable guide for the router. Definitely a case where DIY is not recommended.

Mick

Harry72
5th January 2006, 12:26 AM
I thought there is no slots, but simply the mdf/chip just sits in a slot on the side of the aluminium moulding. Is the MDF just cut in strips and then stacked with the aluminium, then retained at the ends to make up panels?

Try the top 2 extrusions on this page, Ian007 recommended these guys on another thread,
http://www.smartaluminium.com.au/Web%20Page/page38.html

journeyman Mick
5th January 2006, 01:01 AM
Harry,
not the stuff I've worked with- Slatwall and another cheaper alternative (name escapes me) are both full MDF sheets with inverted "T" slots machined in them.

Mick

Taz78557
5th January 2006, 08:42 AM
Thanks Guys,
Guess I had better file this one in the "sounded like a good idea at the time" category.

greenie512
5th January 2006, 10:15 AM
It you want to route T slots try this bit: -

http://mlcswoodworking.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/smarthtml/pages/bt_keyhl.html#T-slot%20cutter%20Anchor

carbatecwa
5th January 2006, 11:24 AM
Taz78557
Are you looking for an alt to slat wall, the alli t track seperated by strips of mdf for supporting hooks to display blister packed merchandise. If you want to make your own then check out the new cutters from CMT now available through Carbatec. There are two sizes available both similar to the keyhole cutter, the smaller having a dia of 30mm/9.5mm and the larger being 34.9mm/12.7mm both cutters only avail on a 12.7mm shank. CMT codes are 850-601-11 and 850-602-11.
Regards from Carbatec WA

Harry72
5th January 2006, 01:33 PM
Harry,
not the stuff I've worked with- Slatwall and another cheaper alternative (name escapes me) are both full MDF sheets with inverted "T" slots machined in them.

MickYep Mick you are correct, had a look at some today.

Taz78557
7th January 2006, 10:05 AM
Went to the old pegboard, wife is happy so I'm happy!

Ray:D

StaySharp
19th January 2006, 03:13 PM
Re: T-Slot Cutters

We at Stay Sharp Have Manufactured T-SLot Cutters for Many Years

Best bet is to buy the aluminium extrusion first as some suppliers differ with dimensions. also the T-Slot can be done in one pass with a special built cutter but the life of the cutter is short due to the cutter has less material on the small diameter of the cutter and the cutter is prone to breakage but for mass production of the panel the cutter can be cost effective due to time savings. We also can supply a two piece set.

But as i said buy the extrusion first and supply us with dimentions when ordering the cutter.

for further infomation please contact
Stay Sharp Tooling Pty, Ltd.
[email protected]
Phone: (02) 9602-5777
Fax: (02) 9602-0181