PDA

View Full Version : walking tiger

Goonyella
4th January 2006, 10:13 PM
Well I finally finished the big fella just in time for Christmas. Took a fair bit of time to get motivated. But the wife challenged me to do something better then the dragon I did for her last Christmas. So I spent just about every spare moment to get him done.
He was only finished about two days before Santa came.
My wife was very impressed, as was the rest of the family and friends who have seen him.:D :D
I am also rather pleased with the end result. :) There is of course many things that could be better, but I am the only one who knows that.

The timbers used were American Cherry, Black Wattle, Silver Ash and a little bit of Papua New Guinea Rosewood.

Hopefully I added some photos that show some of the stages involved in the making of the tiger

Goonyella
4th January 2006, 10:17 PM
[
Hopefully I added some photos that show some of the stages involved in the making of the tiger[/quote]

i am trying.

Goonyella
4th January 2006, 10:21 PM
and more pictures

Goonyella
4th January 2006, 10:23 PM
Last two I promise.

Thanks for your patience.

Goonyella Steve.

TEEJAY
5th January 2006, 08:02 AM
Big and beautiful Steve - looks real nice - keep the small imperfections to yourself I am sure they don't count as it looks great really. :)

Cheers

Iain
5th January 2006, 08:17 AM
Would scare the crap out of anyone who wanted to break and enter:D :D
Have you seen the local intarsia book by um, err, bugger, forgotten his name but he is in FNQ for memory.
I did the fox in his book many moons ago, they are hard work aren't they?
But well worth the effort.

jaspr
5th January 2006, 09:48 AM
Nice work Steve. Very useful to see the full progession of the work.

Bob H
6th January 2006, 05:21 AM
Truly excellent work Steve.
Deserves 3 attaboys.

oges
6th January 2006, 07:09 AM
Great to see the steps to making the project, would love to have that hanging on my wall

Hate to know what the challenge for next Christmas will be, maybe this.... :eek:

Tikki
6th January 2006, 09:05 AM
Superb Steve! :D :D
JGR would be most impressed ;)

Cheers
Tikki :)

Wongo
6th January 2006, 09:19 AM
Awesome work Steve.

Yawally
11th January 2006, 02:44 AM
WOW! that is inspirational stuff. I am just starting my hobby as a woodworker and Intarsia is of real interest for me and my favourite animal is the tiger, and I am going to make one of these myself. Thanks for your photos.:rolleyes:

Yawally

Goonyella
13th January 2006, 07:35 AM
Thanks for the great replies.

Yawally go for it. Intarsia is great. To start with a few bits of timber and slowly turn them into something of beauty is something I never will tire of.

And yes Brett I have seen that design and am thinking about it, but 800 pieces! I might do a few smaller ones first, still getting over the tiger.

Once again thanks for the comments and I look forward to seeing other people showing off there work here.

Goonyella Steve

junkboy999
13th February 2006, 10:42 PM
sorry I saw this late. been bizzy goning down life road to no where.

Seeing a finished work posted sure makes it look easy. Like Bob stuff, But seeing it posted like this is WOW , can scare the most foolhearty wook worker wanna be. Picture #6 about where the tiget back legs are just taking shape, well it allmost made me cry :)

Great work Goonyella.

Goonyella
14th February 2006, 10:31 PM
Thanks Junkboy. But it's not that scary, most of the time. I must admit when I took my first look at the pattern it looked very imposing. It actually took me quite some time to make a start, but once I did it wasn't that bad. By doing a section at a time it wasn't too bad.
Anyway all the hard work was definitely worth. The tiger has attracted much comment and praise. He takes pride of place on the wall in our lounge.
I am now looking forward to my next piece which will be slightly smaller then the tiger.

Goonyella Steve.

michael rountre
12th March 2006, 04:11 AM
late to post but newbie. just gorgeous. the cherry must have been quite a bear to scrool, i know i've had alot of trouble with burning when i use it.
you're well on your way to intarsia stardom. michael rountree-(rountree's woodworks) just remember once you get there..............there you are!!!