PDA

View Full Version : Banksia Nuts

cliff cook
18th August 2001, 12:30 AM
G`day Guys
I have just been given 6 large banksia nuts that i am about to turn into sawdust, is there any thing special i need to know or do to these things or just slap them on and rip into them??

Graeme
18th August 2001, 12:53 AM
G'Day Cliff
Banksia nuts are dirty, dusty, gritty and hard on tools, be prepared to sharpen often, I also advocate a high degree of respiratory protection when turning these things. If you look closely between the seed "tubes" you will see something which closely resembles brown hair or fur, when you turn the nut this gets choped up into realy fine particles, please try to avoid breathing this. Banksia nuts also have a nasty habit of snatching the polishing cloth, make sure as you should always, that the cloth is held losely so that the fingers don't get grabbed as well.
On the positive side, the nuts are quite hard and woody, they turn and polish quite well and their unusual apperance make all the trouble well worth while.

regards
Graeme

John Saxton
19th August 2001, 12:48 AM
I concur with Graeme,Cooky,go slow with your approach with tools and make sure you protect yourself from the fibres and dust that is caused by turning these nuts.
I do not know whether these cause health problems with the fine fibres and dust created but,I am aware of two turners who contracted cancer turning Blackboy's and are no longer with us so however you decide to work these nuts that do have dust and fine fibres caution is the word.
Having turned these things previously but with full protection the amount that can still be collected by the filters gives one cause to consider the inherent problems that may be present.
Cheers http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
Johnno

[This message has been edited by John Saxton (edited 18 August 2001).]

Baz
19th August 2001, 10:07 PM
Hi Cliff,
If you are going to leave a natural edge on your Banksia nut watch your knuckles when sanding and polishing these things love flesh.
Cheers
Barry

cliff cook
19th August 2001, 10:58 PM
G`day guys
I see what you mean Dust it was worse than a sand storm in Saudi !! I`m certanly carefull with the old health I`ve got a full dust collection setup going as well as a Racall powered visor. Speaking of wich it`s getting a bit long in the tooth and having let the facial fugus go ferral I`m in the process of making a new mask setup. Can anyone tell me what size airpump I`d need to pump 180ltr/min
through 8mtr of 20mil ribbed hose??

ptc
20th August 2001, 09:39 PM
Re Banksia's I turn a lot of them and find the rotary sander the best of all methods to sand them.[a good one has a bit of weight about it]bore them out with a forstner bit.
finish.tried every thing for finishing and the best result I get is with french polish
about 3 coats over a period of days.

------------------
p.t.c