PDA

View Full Version : Yet another Baby Change Table.

Babylon5
5th January 2006, 07:03 PM
Been lurking in these forums for a while now. These forums have been of fantastic help with my first major woodwork project. So a big thanks from me to everyone that has ever contributed to the forums.

Crossing my fingers that there will my photo of the change table attached this message. It's made from Red Cedar rescued from a demolition yard. Next project I'm currently working on at this present time is a Baby Cot.

oges
5th January 2006, 07:36 PM
Glad to see you came out of the woodwork, nice work on the change table, imsure it will be much appreciated by the user.

redwood
5th January 2006, 09:39 PM
nice table:D you got triplets have you:eek: :eek: :eek:

John Saxton
5th January 2006, 10:29 PM
Nice change table Redwood,plenty of room for future projections(excuse me) on mebbe a multiple birth.;) :D

KEEP UP with the great woodwork.

Cheers:)

TEEJAY
6th January 2006, 07:56 AM
Welcome to the forum Babylon. The change table looks good.

I would recommend putting castors under it with brakes on the nearer two - we wheel ours with bub about the hose and taking this thing into the bathroom at bath time is a bonus too.

The shelf to post joints are mortice and tenon or keyhole screwed?

Good recycling and I am sure bub will leave signatures in the cedar over time giving memories to time and events.:D

Cheers

Harry72
6th January 2006, 08:40 AM
Nice work Babylon.

Babylon5
6th January 2006, 03:37 PM
Welcome to the forum Babylon. The change table looks good.

I would recommend putting castors under it with brakes on the nearer two - we wheel ours with bub about the hose and taking this thing into the bathroom at bath time is a bonus too.

The shelf to post joints are mortice and tenon or keyhole screwed?

Good recycling and I am sure bub will leave signatures in the cedar over time giving memories to time and events.:D

Cheers

Good idea on the use of castors. Off to Bunnings I go.

Dowel Joints were used to join the top shelf. The bigger vertical piece between the two back posts was joined using an Open Mortise and Tenon joint.

The little guy is due 14th April. And yes there is just the one so he/she will have the top shelf and the bottom two will be for linen etc.

TEEJAY
6th January 2006, 07:40 PM
Just one more tip when you put on the wheels bear in mind it will lift the whole thing up so be sure the level the bub is at is a good working height if you need to trim the posts before you add the wheels.

We worked on the top of the matress being at the same level as the workbench in the kitchen it is a really good working level.

If you look at most of the change units in the baby shops they are way too low and designed for midgets - not good for your back over time.

Cheers

junkboy999
6th January 2006, 07:43 PM
Wow Triplets :)

Might want to add a Pad so thay dont get splinters :) Nice Job by the way Love the simple look and wood .

Babylon5
6th January 2006, 09:12 PM
Just one more tip when you put on the wheels bear in mind it will lift the whole thing up so be sure the level the bub is at is a good working height if you need to trim the posts before you add the wheels.

We worked on the top of the matress being at the same level as the workbench in the kitchen it is a really good working level.

If you look at most of the change units in the baby shops they are way too low and designed for midgets - not good for your back over time.

Cheers

The Mrs and I when looking at change tables in shops and did notice how low some were. So for the height we settled on about 95-100cm from the ground to where the foam padding that sits on the top shelf. This works out perfectly for the both of us by minimising bending of our backs.

Peter36
6th January 2006, 10:22 PM
Great change table Babylon and good to see the recycled timber . With the cot comming along you have everything under control for the big event :)