PDA

View Full Version : Workbench height

chrisb691
6th January 2006, 12:12 PM
Hi all,
I want to replace my existing workbench with a smaller one, to pick up some additional storage space in the shed. I made the existing one about 20 years ago, and not only does it end up mostly piled up in crap, it is also far to high for comfortable use.

My question then is: What is the best height for a workbench that I can use for planing timber, and for cutting dovetails etc? Obviously the best height will vary with the user (I'm 6'5"), so is there a measure that I can use from (say) the elbow height.

I would appreciate any advice. Chris

Just George
6th January 2006, 12:34 PM
You would need one 8 inch higher than mine as I am 5'9".

mat
6th January 2006, 12:50 PM
Chris

Work backwards from the height of your forearm when held horizontal with the upper arm hanging loose by your body. Subtract the height of tools used such as hand saw, plane etc, then subtract the height of timber usually projecting up from the vice. This gives a good height for sawing dovetails. For planing slightly lower is advisable as you do not have a perfectly upright stance when planing.

Nothing is going to be perfect for all jobs, but using this methodology will get you roughly right.

Wongo
6th January 2006, 12:58 PM

:D

Cliff Rogers
6th January 2006, 01:36 PM
Use your current work bench to work out the height of you new one.

Make a 'duck board' out of a busted up packing crate & stand on it to work at your current work bench.
Keep adding shims under the 'duck board' til you get to the ideal height.
Measure from the top of the 'duck board' to the top of your current work bench & build your new one that high.

rrich
6th January 2006, 03:03 PM
I had an instructor that suggested the height of a work bench pased upon a person's anatomy. His solution was to stand at the work bench and without bending your back be able to place your fingers flat on the working surface but not your palms.

I think that his method is a good starting point.

chrisb691
6th January 2006, 03:36 PM

Thanks George, and, assuming that your bench is a good height for you, I would like to arrange a sutable date to come over and measure it.:cool:

redwood
6th January 2006, 04:28 PM

well im 4' 21" and mine is the perfect height;)

silentC
6th January 2006, 04:37 PM
If you do a lot of handtool work, then lower is better - especially for hand planing. However there are times when you want it to be higher - for detail work and to save your back.

One good idea I've seen is to make it lower and then have flip down extensions or blocks (even bricks) to slide underneath to lift it up.

Rich's suggestion is the standard one I have seen but you could also apply a bit of science as suggested by Cliff.

At the end of the day, I think it's a personal preference.

Dan
6th January 2006, 04:49 PM
More info here,
http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=18653

Shedhand
6th January 2006, 05:16 PM
Hi all,
I want to replace my existing workbench with a smaller one, to pick up some additional storage space in the shed. I made the existing one about 20 years ago, and not only does it end up mostly piled up in crap, it is also far to high for comfortable use.

My question then is: What is the best height for a workbench that I can use for planing timber, and for cutting dovetails etc? Obviously the best height will vary with the user (I'm 6'5"), so is there a measure that I can use from (say) the elbow height.

I would appreciate any advice. Chris
Your weight is as important as your height when working at a bench. If you have a beer gut, bending over a low bench is gonna destroy your back.
In my own case, I have chronic lower back pain and if I bend for more than 2 or 3 minutes I'm stuffed. I guess what I'm saying is that whatever height reduces the strain on you back is good. You can always make a smaller short bench if you need one and duckboards for the tall bench. I have 2 B&D workbenches, 4 folding saw horses, 1 workbench at 900mm, 1 at 820mm and a custom made router bench at 1.0 metre. (and a wooden floor) my back never aches now.:)