PDA

View Full Version : Timber Joinery

Carissa
8th January 2006, 12:20 AM
I have been looking everywhere for the little joinery products that are used to join two pieces of timber together without using glue or nails etc. They are a two piece system (male / female) and use a phillips head screw driver to tighten the female piece. As you tighten it pulls the two pieces of timber together to form a tight joint. These are usually used in cabinets or wall units to give clean invisible joins on the outside.

I would appreciate knowing what they are called and where I could possibly purchase them from within the Brisbane area. I have tried local hardware stores without success.

Carissa

Bluegum
8th January 2006, 09:52 AM
Hi Carissa,

Welcome to the madhouse as many put it. Your not thinking of a system called the kreg jig are you? It uses pocket hole joinery to give the similar style of joints that your talking about. I am sure they are available here in Brisbane at a company called greg machinery. I have seen them in Town but sadly cannot remember where. I think there is a website as well but i can't remember what its called.:) :)

Ivan in Oz
8th January 2006, 10:24 AM
I have a Kreg and it is quite good:) :cool: :D
However,
I'm thinking it might be like the Bench-top joiners.
Two slightly concaved metal pieces;
one is threaded the other NOT.
A Screw, or Bolt goes through the unthreaded one,
and pulls the threaded one tight.
You'd need "Holes" for the Concave pieces,
and a recess for the scrwew/bolt

How close am I:confused:
OR

A Cross Dowel and Connecting Bolt.......Page 46 on
http://www.hafele.com.au/isapi/online/retail/retail.asp

Carissa
8th January 2006, 11:24 AM
Thanks Ivan From Oz. Your very close to the mark with your reply. This has given me the details that I needed to know when searching for the items. I visited the web site link you supplied. I know where this place is and will be visiting it this week as I shaw other items that I am interested in as well.

Thanks again.

Carissa

Carissa
8th January 2006, 11:29 AM
Thanks Bluegum

Your information has been helpful in that it supplied me with the name of a supplier "Gregory Machinery". I am familiar with this supplier and know where they are located. I never thought to check there though. Ivan In OZ has hit the mark with his response.

Thanks again.

Hi Carissa,

Welcome to the madhouse as many put it. Your not thinking of a system called the kreg jig are you? It uses pocket hole joinery to give the similar style of joints that your talking about. I am sure they are available here in Brisbane at a company called greg machinery. I have seen them in Town but sadly cannot remember where. I think there is a website as well but i can't remember what its called.:) :)

Carissa
8th January 2006, 11:30 AM
Thanks Ivan From Oz. Your very close to the mark with your reply. This has given me the details that I needed to know when searching for the items. I visited the web site link you supplied. I know where this place is and will be visiting it this week as I shaw other items that I am interested in as well.

Thanks again.

Carissa

I have a Kreg and it is quite good:) :cool: :D
However,
I'm thinking it might be like the Bench-top joiners.
Two slightly concaved metal pieces;
one is threaded the other NOT.
A Screw, or Bolt goes through the unthreaded one,
and pulls the threaded one tight.
You'd need "Holes" for the Concave pieces,
and a recess for the scrwew/bolt

How close am I:confused:
OR

A Cross Dowel and Connecting Bolt.......Page 46 on
http://www.hafele.com.au/isapi/online/retail/retail.asp