PDA

View Full Version : Large entertainment unit

JackG
8th January 2006, 07:01 PM
Here is a very large entertainment unit that is 'almost' finished, it contains everything ! Stereo, plasma, bar, heater, but no kitchen sink. :) I just need to make another small drawer for under the phone, a screen in front of the sub woofer and I havent decided about the empty compartment in the bottom left.

Construction is pretty simple, black melamine and stained timber that I got via Macculata's plug a few month back on this board (thanks again), I belive it is blue gum but I am not sure. All is connected together via some sort of latch connetors, bracing is provided by the MDF back panels. The smoked glass doors are salvaged from an old ent unit.
The hardest part was to find suitable pieces of timber and join them, essentially all panel work and a few drawers, nothing too difficult. I wanted to paint the back panels in a bright colour to lighten the unit that is a bit dark but swmbo wanted them dark...

The biggest difficulty was to create a suitable design, I did not want a flat front wall type square/cube look nor something too deep but my amplifier is rather deep so I opted for a design where some parts protrude and others are recessed, the lower sides also help to blend a bit and make the 3m long unit appear a bit less bulky. The rest was decided by the size of the components and recycled glass doors.

The finish is thiners based stain and satin NC lacquer.

The photos really do not make justice, the flash made white lines visible on the melamine panels edges that are not apparent looking at it. It also seems that the unit is covered in dust :) The glass doors appear clear but in reality they are quite dark. In reality the unit is quite elegant and fairly well finished on the photos it looks.. well you can see them.

I am glad this is almost over so I can go back to finish other project and perhaps start my next big one... an Acoustic Guitar! (Perhaps I watch too much the Howto chanel :) )

ozwinner
8th January 2006, 07:14 PM
Pure class.
You can tell that by the way you have incorperated the heater.

Al :D

junkboy999
8th January 2006, 07:44 PM
Nice work Jack G

Looks good, I like the Dark look. That is the problem with new Plasma TV thay just dont generate that much heat any more.

oges
8th January 2006, 08:23 PM
Nice work

Harry72
8th January 2006, 09:22 PM
Good work Jacko, suits your needs by the looks

AlexS
9th January 2006, 08:26 AM
Nice work. It's a big buggar ain't it!