PDA

View Full Version : Review Please

Just George
9th January 2006, 07:51 PM
Dean,
Can you do a review on some of the new Triton products. In particular the 1400w Router and the Rotary Tool Kit.

TritonJapan
9th January 2006, 08:14 PM
I will second that!

Dean, the Spin saw is probably the "newest" tool in the range as there does not seem to be many of them on the market.

Would be interested in your thoughts on it.

Steve

BarryBurgess
9th January 2006, 08:32 PM
We have a B&Q performance pro spin/zip saw in the UK so I suspect this was from GMC and could have been the start of the product . Will try and get a photo to post

Dean
9th January 2006, 08:37 PM
I'll try to review as many of these as possible.

Right now I am testing the new Triton ROS for an upcoming review but I'll try to get my hands on some of the other new goodies in the near future (unfortunately not all of this happens overnight so there may be a bit of a wait involved for the reviews) :rolleyes:

I'll do my best to review as many as I can in the coming months.

TritonJapan
9th January 2006, 08:41 PM
Thanks Dean.

I enjoy your reviews.

Keep up the good work!

Steve

redwood
9th January 2006, 08:42 PM
excuse my ignorance but what is the spin saw:confused:

TritonJapan
9th January 2006, 08:50 PM
The spin saw is a combination tool that based on previous threads probably would not be your cup of tea Redwood.

It is a smallish motor, variable speed.

Has a router base attachment, so can be used as a trimmer or small router.

Also has a grinder head, sanding head, rotary tool extension. Sort of like the dentist's drill.

It also can be used as a spin saw.

A spin saw is like a cross between a drill and a jigsaw. The bit spins and hence can cut in any direction. It is great for gyprock, light switches etc.

The reason I suggest it may not be for you is that it is a combination tool. From your posts, I get the feeling that you have fairly high expectations of your tools and would prefer a grinder, sander, trimmer, detail tool and stand alone spin saw if you ever needed one.

The spin saw kit should be great for hobbists starting out. Its range of uses is pretty impressive.

Steve

Dean
9th January 2006, 08:50 PM
I was just taking it easy over Xmas (for once) and not being overly productive review-wise :)

Upcoming reviews I'm working on:

- Kreg Bandsaw Fence
- Ryobi Corded Drills
- GMC rechargeable spotlights (new item - pretty impressive I might add)
- Straight edge guides and edge trimmers
- Triton ROS

But not necessarily in that exact order :)

TritonJapan
9th January 2006, 08:53 PM
There are also a few more attachments from memory. One of which is a circle cutting attachment. This is great for installing down lights, exhaust fans and I am going to be experimenting with speaker boxes.

To date I have mainly worked on large projects and don't have much experience with the fine carving and engraving that it can also do.

This is why I would like to read someone like Dean's review of the product.

Steve

redwood
9th January 2006, 08:54 PM
The spin saw is a combination tool that based on previous threads probably would not be your cup of tea Redwood.

Steve

thats a bit of a silly thing to assume

TritonJapan
9th January 2006, 08:58 PM
Sorry Redwood. I got the feeling from your previous posts that you are at the higher end of the usage range.

I would liken the Spin Saw Kit to a swiss army knife. Can do a stack of things fairly well, but the dedicated equipment may do each task better. I say may, however from what I have played with it, I am fairly happy with it. (Received my sample a few months ago).

Steve

redwood
9th January 2006, 09:11 PM
Sorry Redwood. I got the feeling from your previous posts that you are at the higher end of the usage range.

Steve

not at all. the newest tools i have are gmc cause they are cheap and i can double up easly. my main routers are an old (but brilliant) elu and a tr12 in a bench. i have a 15 year old makita jigsaw, bla bla. i just like em tuned to the max and capable of preforming at their best. even my bandsaw is a 14" inch tiawanese job that cost me 400 bucks in 1995 iv ballanced the wheels beautifully and waked on a 2hp motor and it runs like a dream. i like all tools as long as they work. if i seen the spin saw and thought it would add something to my shed id get it:D

Stuart
10th January 2006, 05:29 PM
How in the world does everyone (ie Dean & Steve) get all these free toys to play with? I (like everyone else) have to fork out the hard-earned to get even one of the new tools.

I want some free tools too!

Gumby
10th January 2006, 05:37 PM
How in the world does everyone (ie Dean & Steve) get all these free toys to play with? I (like everyone else) have to fork out the hard-earned to get even one of the new tools.

Come to our next meeting and you might win the sander :D It's in a box in my garage but I wouldn't play with it. :cool: Anyway, you did all right at the club BBQ.
Mr Free Electronic Ear Muffs :D :D

Auld Bassoon
10th January 2006, 05:42 PM
I was just taking it easy over Xmas (for once) and not being overly productive review-wise :)

Upcoming reviews I'm working on:

- GMC rechargeable spotlights (Solar Powered) :D :D

But not necessarily in that exact order :)

Sorry for the edit, but couldn't resist :D

I'm due to get my hands on an example of the Kreg B/S fence any day now - I had to get a replacement as I managed (??) to strip the thread in the allow casting on the EB B/S, and from past experience with these guys the Kreg will be about half the price - and (hopefully) twice as good.

Dean
10th January 2006, 06:08 PM

Some free, some bought, some have to be returned :o
I wish they were all "free" but the cost is a LOT of time testing, taking high quality photos and writing actual text (and editing etc) to come to the finished review. So the cost is not money, but time, and time is rather precious. Sometimes I wish I hadn't started the site at all. I havent had a day off in years! And then of course, all the review requests :)

TritonJapan
10th January 2006, 06:21 PM
I on the other hand have it easy. Just have to get em ready for market.

Dead easy, which is why there are thousands of guys like me here doing what I do....not.

I must admit, I love opening samples. Have my woodworker hat, Importer hat, after sales service hat, demonstrator hat and little kid at Christmas hat on all at once.

I too often have to pay for samples, depending on the supplier, product and mood of the person sending them.

Bit like Dean though, you don't get to turn off.

Wouldn't have it any other way though.

Advice to kids, work out what you love doing then just get paid to do it.

Steve

aussiedeano
10th January 2006, 06:30 PM
Hi Steve

Thanks for the help in my post about the powered saw. What do you do in Japan?

I sort of sorted out the power saw, I will put some hardwood through it on my days off and see how it holds up.

Was in Bunnings today, and saw a new table saw (well, maybe I've never seen it before), the GMC LS250TS, with a laser guide, etc. Looked all right for the $298 price. Any thoughts? The reason for buying something less expensive, we are looking to have a baby, trying to save money, etc.....so if it seems like a decent saw for the price, I may look at getting it. Anyway, a bit off topic for this thread.....

Stuart
10th January 2006, 06:44 PM
Some free, some bought, some have to be returned :o
I wish they were all "free" but the cost is a LOT of time testing, taking high quality photos and writing actual text (and editing etc) to come to the finished review. So the cost is not money, but time, and time is rather precious. Sometimes I wish I hadn't started the site at all. I havent had a day off in years! And then of course, all the review requests :)
Send some my way- I'll be happy to do testing, write reviews, take hi quality photos etc, especially if payment is in tools!

Seriously.

If any of my writings are of use, let me know! I haven't contributed to the site since the GMC lathe from memory.

TritonJapan
10th January 2006, 06:47 PM
Dean,

You are welcome.

I am the distributor for Triton in Japan.

When I first got married and our son was on the way I bought a MK3, second hand. Best investment I ever made.

If you are starting out and wanting to save money and have the powered saw table, instead of buying the GMC table I would look at getting a mini extension table to go with your current Triton. Will give you a pretty good capacity and take up less space when put away.

Not knocking the GMC table, but you will end up with 2 similar tools. Though you can sell one on e-bay, you will not get back what it cost.

Once you get your compact working well, it should do most things you need it to.

As always, it really depends on what you want to make, your skill level, how much time, space and money you have.

Good luck with parenthood. It is fantastick!

Steve

Stuart
10th January 2006, 07:03 PM
Come to our next meeting and you might win the sander :D It's in a box in my garage but I wouldn't play with it. :cool: Anyway, you did all right at the club BBQ.
Mr Free Electronic Ear Muffs :D :D
I'm eyeing up the Triton comp, but if I don't win that, I'll certainly be looking at the sander from the club for inclusion in my 'shop!

I'll start working on my voodoo dolls now. (I'm normally playing with them, but occasionally they are useful for real work.........) I might have to modify my Kenmil doll........

Anyone looking for a review of Electronic ear protectors?

Just George
10th January 2006, 07:04 PM
we are looking to have a baby, trying to save money.....

These two comments in the one sentence is a bit contradictory.....

aussiedeano
10th January 2006, 08:00 PM
Not really George.....think it makes quite good sense to have your financial affairs in order before going down to one wage for a few months. To me it doesn't make sense to go INTO financial trouble buying a table saw...just my opinion though, as is yours.....

Just George
10th January 2006, 08:41 PM
Not really George.....think it makes quite good sense to have your financial affairs in order before going down to one wage for a few months. To me it doesn't make sense to go INTO financial trouble buying a table saw...just my opinion though, as is yours.....

Yeah, the same goes for when you buy a house, my wife hasn't brought up the BABY subject yet. That'll be on the cards in a few years I guess. I want to buy some decent woodwork equipment before we go down the baby/house paths.

RufflyRustic
11th January 2006, 10:04 AM
Try being a woodworker who wants more tools, a shed and a baby too :rolleyes: :D

cheers
RR

Stuart
11th January 2006, 12:01 PM
Try being a woodworker who wants more tools, a shed and a baby too :rolleyes: :D

cheers
RR

All you need are tools. Once you have the right tools, you can make the rest ;) :eek:

skot
11th January 2006, 05:28 PM
Have the baby...then buy more tools with the Government Baby Bonus Payment...how's that for Stupidity.....:) :)

Just George
11th January 2006, 06:50 PM

cheers
RR

yep, gotcha...

I am a woodworker(both as a hobby and profession), I want a shed but have to make do with a single garage(on a slope) and the part about the baby - well, one of those is planned in about 3 to 4 years...

Solaris
15th January 2006, 04:33 AM
Hi all

Just got the new Triton Spin Saw. Went into Bunnings for a few other things and couldnt resist when i saw it there.

I read the specs on it, 700W motor, variable speed, read the accessories that come with it, i was hooked!!

Came home, got stuck in the shed to play with my new toy......

To tell you the truth, i'm a little disappointed with the thing.

First on the bright side, it comes with all the asseccories that you would normally have to buy as extras for the rotary devices. It comes with an Angle Grind attachment, and optional/removable handle so you can swap between a barrel grip or handle grip, it also has a flexible shaft, and a plunge base so you can use it as a plunge router.

It also accepts 1/4" bits.

Besides this, it only has the basic accessory heads such as cement cutter head, grinder head and 4-5 others.

Oh and the plastic case it all comes in is pretty neat!!

that's where the fantasy ends......

The first thing that struck me about this was how plasticy it all was. The on/off switch is so loose that if i bump the machine upside down on the table, the switch "falls" into the ON position.

The plunge base is VERY flimsy for my taste, thin beaten metal base with plastic skeleton.

Worst of all, the setup didnt include the Collet change tool (as per the manual) and the cement cutter disc was broken in half.

Perhaps its a little hard to explain, but i have the Triton Router and compared to that, this just didnt "feel" right.

So anyway, called Bunnings up, had a whinge and will be dropping it back to them tomorrow and getting a refund,

oh incidently, i saw the 1400W routers there which they have taken stock off so i was thinking of perhaps picking that up as i only have the big bro Triton and it's permanently mounted under a table. I had a quick play with it and can only hope it doesnt disappointed like this does.

Anyway, if anyone else has a better experience with the Spin Saw, let me know but all in all, i was quite disappointed.

cheers
Jeelan

Just George
15th January 2006, 10:43 AM
Jeelan,
Sorry but you didn't say what you had tried to do with the Spin Saw. It's all well and good saying what is wrong with it but I'd be interested in knowing what work you tried doing which may help with any overall problems?

Stuart
15th January 2006, 12:08 PM
The first thing that struck me about this was how plasticy it all was. The on/off switch is so loose that if i bump the machine upside down on the table, the switch "falls" into the ON position.

The plunge base is VERY flimsy for my taste, thin beaten metal base with plastic skeleton.

Worst of all, the setup didnt include the Collet change tool (as per the manual) and the cement cutter disc was broken in half.

Perhaps its a little hard to explain, but i have the Triton Router and compared to that, this just didnt "feel" right.

Interesting observations. I came to the same conclusion when I saw it- looked very plastic, and I can't say I was particularly tempted because of this.

oh incidently, i saw the 1400W routers there which they have taken stock off so i was thinking of perhaps picking that up as i only have the big bro Triton and it's permanently mounted under a table. I had a quick play with it and can only hope it doesnt disappointed like this does.

These look great, and they have definitely come out of the Triton design stables. I will definitely be getting one for exactly the same reason - so I have a good router for handheld work, and the 2400W beast permanently mounted in the table (where it lives 90% of the time anyway).

My only gripe, which I really hope Triton can sort out, is the through-table bit height adjustment would be awesome to have for the 2400W router. (They may do this for future generations of the router, but I want to retrofit this to my current one!)

I'm looking at how to do this myself- coupling into the microadjuster somehow from above the table. Just another thing on my long list of "must do"

TritonJapan
15th January 2006, 04:50 PM
One of my customers showed me an electronic height adjuster he made for the curcular saw. Was brilliant.

No doubt he could come up with an electronig height adjustment for the router. His unit was not cheap, but extremely impressive.

Steve

John G
17th January 2006, 08:01 PM
I checked out the "baby" router at Bunn the other day - and wow, it's a big baby! Yes, it definitely has triton all over it - solid and quality.

The only thing I couldn't work out was the rack-and-pinion height adjustment. On the big brother, the plunge is engaged by pushing in the end-clip thingy and twisting it to lock it in place - (this disengages the r+p)

But on the baby, there is no clip thing to twist, just an orange button. I pushed it it and yes, that successfully disengaged the r+p, but I couldn't for the life of me re-engage it. I thought the orange button may have been a toggle, but no amount of pushing could make it click back out.

I won't be so negative as to suggest it was broken - does anyone know for sure how this thing works?

Just George
17th January 2006, 09:25 PM
I too had a play with one at Bunnings, I found it a little hard to return to the original mode but with a little persistance I got it.

ficfac
12th April 2008, 11:54 PM
Hey Solaris,
I just got the spin saw combo too. So far I'm loving it. I've just tried a bit of angle grinding/sanding, cut a dovetail groove for a divider, cut out a pattern with the spiral cutter and the little orange handle thingie, and also a bit of carving/engraving with my dremel bits. One gripe I have is the little screw to hold the router fence on. The head snapped off first time so now I have to try and get the thread out somehow, cos the fence is stuck in! Anyway enough from me, just my two cents worth...