PDA

View Full Version : Tasmania Musk Burl Baron

darley56
10th January 2006, 09:50 AM
Here we go Tasmania Musk Burl from dbar ( thanks Darren ) turn like butter very soft wood like Cedar, 2 coats of CA sand down with MM 12000 between each coat.

RufflyRustic
10th January 2006, 10:42 AM
Look at that grain!!!! Lovely!!!

Cheers
RufflyRustic

clubbyr8
10th January 2006, 10:48 AM
Darley,

Where do you get your Baron's from now that Bill won't send items internationally anymore?

Bob

darley56
10th January 2006, 12:30 PM
Darley,

Where do you get your Baron's from now that Bill won't send items internationally anymore?

Bob
Got friend in the States who buy them for me

clubbyr8
10th January 2006, 12:55 PM
Fair enough. Lucky you.

Thanks.

bdar
10th January 2006, 10:17 PM
Hi Darley,

Glad you liked the burl. It is beautiful timber to cut, did you use the skew only on the pen. The birdseye looks good on the cap and the colour looks great. That was the only piece of musk he had. I hope the red gum and myrtle burl comes up as good.

Darren

John Saxton
10th January 2006, 11:13 PM
Hi Darley, thanx for the pix of pen of Tasmanian Musk Burl.

GOTTA admit we're fortunate here in Oz for the range of spectacular burl timber we have available to us and Tassie does well in providing a rich source of burl.

Got a BIL down there ,gonna have to get him active on sending some of those samples he's got hoardin' in his shed south 'o Hobart.

Cheers:)

darley56
12th January 2006, 09:10 AM
Thank you all for the comments, Darren yes the burl is a beauty for all my pens I use my 1" skew even when I do beads on pen, cut and drill the red gum burl last night but have to stabelized it with CA, the cap or the top barrel as 3 cracks and holes so stabelize was due.

John that's true Tassie got lot of good wood and burl, go to see your mate with an empty suitcase and ransack is shed LOL, don't forget to send me some samples:D