PDA

View Full Version : Beginner DIY Drawbar

MWF FEED
10th July 2023, 01:40 PM
Hi,

My mill came with a 1/2" whitworth drawbar, it's just a threaded rod with two bolts on the end of it.

I'm changing it to M12 (I already have the threaded rod), most of the DIY articles I've read say to weld the bolt on, atm I don't weld (I mean if welding was necessary I could find a way), is there another way to do it, maybe modifying a bolt to take a grub screw and drilling a tiny dimple on the rod for the grub to sit in?

Also does anyone mill down the top end of the threaded rod so its square and you can just put the spanner directly on the rod?

Any (threaded rod) drawbar improvements that a beginner could do, I see a lot of talk of "captive" mods that are used to remove the need for a (potentially bearing damaging) hammer blow to dislodge the arbor, as a beginner I'm probably overthinking it, my mill is probably 30 years old and so its probably been bashed into oblivion, only asking because if its an easy mod and makes sense it would be good to incorporate.

Fyi, I don't have access to a lathe.

Thanks!

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

Read the full thread at metalworkforums.com... (https://metalworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=209315&goto=newpost)