PDA

View Full Version : Vintage Hyco 12inch wood/Metal Bandsaw assembly questions

Natcamp10
20th July 2023, 12:22 PM
Hi All

I have recently found a old Hyco Bandsaw with a reduction gear box on it for switching between low and high speeds assuming either metal or wood , the machine had been totally stripped and only partially assembled before i got it.
I after some information on assembling the lower gear box in regards to the shim locations and retainer mechanism assembly of the lower wheel to main shaft
Questions
- does the packing or trust washer sit internally in the gear box on case side of the gears and cover side of gears meaning 4 in total
- does the blade drive wheel have shims between the housing bearing and the wheel
- does the retainer of the v belt pulley have the same thrust washers behind between the pulley and the retainer , there are wear marks showing it had some sort of thrust washers in there and was the retainer held on via roll pin or was it a taper pin
- When operating the machine in low speed does the dowel pin on the retainer require to be disengaged or engaged?

Any help or pictures of a similar machine would be handy

Nathan

Fergiz01
23rd July 2023, 08:57 AM
Hey mate, I'd also post your query over in the Vintage and Antique Machinery forum. There are a lot of knowledgeable people over there that may be able to help you out. Cheers

Natcamp10
23rd July 2023, 05:24 PM
Thankyou will do

havabeer69
1st August 2023, 11:13 PM
is the pulley key'd?

trying to work out what drives it and how the belt is tensioned wen using the smaller pulleys?

Oldbikerider
7th August 2023, 01:56 PM
Nathan,
I've just sent you an e-mail with some more photos from when I re-built my Hyco bandsaw.

I can't really help with the thrust washer placement, but I can with the operation of the gearbox. That dowel pin needs to be released when you use the gearbox for low speed. You pull the knob out and rotate it 180 degrees so that the small pin that is pressed into the back of the knob rests up on the pulley hub thereby holding the dowel pin out of engagemnent. You then operate that red lever on the back of the gearbox shown in one of your photos above to bring the gears into mesh.

Graham.

Natcamp10
8th August 2023, 05:02 AM
Hi All

Thankyou all for your help, I will post some detailed pics this week of the assembly of the gear box for future forum users, big thanks to Graham the pics you sent me are really helpful,
Ps. its a little ripper of a saw and its alive and running mint , I've cut some metal already with it and its awesome, I will post how the key ways are setup and how I have my pulleys are setup for real slow saw speed to cut sheet metal :D
I'm going to give it a paint job as well

regards
Nathan