PDA

View Full Version : HELP Good present for a metal working friend?

lemerv
8th August 2023, 09:16 AM
Got a mate's wedding coming up and thought I'd get him a little something for his metal working shop. He is a novice and has started setting up his shed about a year ago. He doesn't have heaps of gear yet. As far as I know, he is doing some welding and forging. He got himself an anvil recently, so I guess he is hammering things. (Can you tell I'm not a metal worker!)

Anyone got some suggestions of what might be a nice gift? Somewhere around the $150 mark. I was thinking maybe some machinist setup blocks or similar?

Since I don't know what he already has, hoping someone can recommend a good local metal working retailer that will do exchanges?

Cheers

(Would have asked on the metal work forums but didn't want to register for one post. Hoping a few metal worker are also woodworkers).

jack620
8th August 2023, 10:18 AM
Machinists gear would only be of use if he's going to be doing any machining. Does he have a lathe?

A pair of these would make me happy: Just a moment... (https://www.machineryhouse.com.au/m100)
H&F should have a pretty good return policy.

BobL
8th August 2023, 02:18 PM
Unless you know what he already has then you could very well end up giving him something he already has.

Sounds impersonal but I tell all my relatives that ask to give me vouchers.

lemerv
8th August 2023, 02:32 PM
Machinists gear would only be of use if he's going to be doing any machining. Does he have a lathe?

A pair of these would make me happy: Just a moment... (https://www.machineryhouse.com.au/m100)
H&F should have a pretty good return policy.

They look nice. H&F return policy, however, does not read well! I'm sure they are fine though

lemerv
8th August 2023, 02:34 PM
Unless you know what he already has then you could very well end up giving him something he already has.

Sounds impersonal but I tell all my relatives that ask to give me vouchers.

Yeah good idea. Any particular metal working retailer you recommend apart from H&F?

cava
8th August 2023, 08:44 PM
I am sure his wife will be really impressed getting a piece of metal working equipment for a wedding present.

May I suggest you rethink the gift?

jack620
8th August 2023, 09:06 PM
I’m sure he knows his mate and the bride-to-be better than you do.