PDA

View Full Version : Triton Rotary Tool Kit

Just George
14th January 2006, 09:56 PM
Has anyone seen the new Triton Rotary Tool Kit? The one that looks like the Dremel, I was looking at it the other day for a bit over $120 until I ntoiced the Ozito Rotary Tool Kit with more accessories in the kit. The guy at Bunnings said that it was just the same with a better warranty. I ended up buying the Ozito for $49 - well under half the price of the Triton. Please don't get me wrong, Triton has brought out some nice products in the past but this is one time when a cheaper version looks to be just as good - if all else fails I have only spend $49 and for that price I will have learnt how to use it so if I end up with the Triton I will know how to use it with the Ozito bits as extras to suit.

Gumby
14th January 2006, 10:00 PM
Has anyone seen the new Triton Rotary Tool Kit? The one that looks like the Dremel, I was looking at it the other day for a bit over $120 until I ntoiced the Ozito Rotary Tool Kit with more accessories in the kit. The guy at Bunnings said that it was just the same with a better warranty. I ended up buying the Ozito for $49 - well under half the price of the Triton. Please don't get me wrong, Triton has brought out some nice products in the past but this is one time when a cheaper version looks to be just as good - if all else fails I have only spend $49 and for that price I will have learnt how to use it so if I end up with the Triton I will know how to use it with the Ozito bits as extras to suit.

We had one at our last Triton club meeting as a prize for the end of year competition. Looked nice but I didn't win it unfortunately. :( I wouldn't mind having a bet that it's a lot different to the Ozito and that the guy at Bunnings had no idea what he was talking about. Knowing the guys at Triton, it's highly unlikely to be just the same with a different badge.

Just George
14th January 2006, 10:06 PM
We had one at our last Triton club meeting as a prize for the end of year competition. Looked nice but I didn't win it unfortunately. :( I wouldn't mind having a bet that it's a lot different to the Ozito and that the guy at Bunnings had no idea what he was talking about. Knowing the guys at Triton, it's highly unlikely to be just the same with a different badge.

What's that old saying? Money talks, BS walks.... The guys at Bunnings have a lot of tools to sell and there is no way they can know everything about everything but they do sometimes spin a pile of BS. It pays to know what you want when you go in - ie. do your research....

Stuart
15th January 2006, 11:51 AM
What's that old saying? Money talks, BS walks.... The guys at Bunnings have a lot of tools to sell and there is no way they can know everything about everything but they do sometimes spin a pile of BS. It pays to know what you want when you go in - ie. do your research....

I've been hearing nothing but BS from those guys recently- I now actively avoid asking for advice, because they have shown time and time again they are very willing to make something up that makes them sound knowledgable rather than just say that "they don't know".

As to the Ozito vs Triton- they may look the same, but which one is rated to last longer than 60 minutes operating time (MTBF)?

If you are only intending to use it occasionally for small jobs, then the cheap one may do you, and save you some dollars. Just don't expect it to last the distance if you give it a lot of work to do.

Just George
15th January 2006, 02:13 PM
I will be able to learn the finer points of working with a Rotary Tool, my budget is limited at the moment. Once I have mastered it and if it lets me down I will upgrade it to something better and I will still have the Bits from the cheaper one to fit a newer more expensive tool.

doug the slug
15th January 2006, 03:26 PM
I actually have the ozito version, cost $29 when they first came out. I've given it a fairly good workout too and its still going strong. im not saying that its got the same insides as the triton but i held the two of them together in bunnies the other day and the cases are almost identical cept ones orange and the others grey, and the weight seemed about the same. the triton has a right angel drive and a bevel cutter that the ozito dont have and dont forget teh replacement warranty. even if i was to be looking for one now that the triton is out. i couldnt justify the price difference to get the tritonhttp://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon7.gifhttp://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon7.gif

Timbo999
31st January 2006, 04:39 PM
Why buy the Triton Rotary tool with only 12months warranty when you can buy the tried and tested DREMEL 395VG with Flex shaft for an extra $6 plus a 5 YEAR WARRANTY.

Buy the DREMEL not the orange GMC:rolleyes:

Andy Mac
31st January 2006, 04:48 PM
Haven't these things come down in price...I think I paid $199 for a Dremel kit over 10yrs ago! :eek:
Still going strong though, and I made an add-on pistol grip so it handles like a real drill. Combined with a screw-on chuck and a set of miniture drill bits (1/16" seems thick!!) its a wonderful handy tool.

Cheers

Greg Q
31st January 2006, 04:54 PM
...only lasted thirty-four years. It started showing signs of wear last year, right after I bought a shiny new one, just in case. That little motor tool saw me through high school, two model railroads, three cylinder head modification jobs, and an otherwise hard life as a regular user. It was my first power tool, and my first 'name brand' tool. Too bad about the durability.;)

Auld Bassoon
31st January 2006, 06:17 PM
Haven't these things come down in price...I think I paid $199 for a Dremel kit over 10yrs ago! :eek:
Still going strong though, and I made an add-on pistol grip so it handles like a real drill. Combined with a screw-on chuck and a set of miniture drill bits (1/16" seems thick!!) its a wonderful handy tool.

Cheers

I think mine was around $120 a couple of years ago, with a box full of "this's and that's". Sine bought a little attachment that lets me use the Dremel as a mini plunge router, and another that acts as a mini circular saw.

Great for small/fine work, and whines along very nicely :D

Auld Bassoon
31st January 2006, 06:20 PM
...only lasted thirty-four years. It started showing signs of wear last year, right after I bought a shiny new one, just in case. That little motor tool saw me through high school, two model railroads, three cylinder head modification jobs, and an otherwise hard life as a regular user. It was my first power tool, and my first 'name brand' tool. Too bad about the durability.;)

Hi Greg,

You know, I'd be tempted to write to them, and explain that you're disappointed that this "prestige" tool has expired after 34 years....

They might just want to use it in their ads - and give you a freebie. Unless, of course, the expected MTBF is 50+ years :rolleyes:

Markw
1st February 2006, 10:30 AM
Don't aways believe that the tools from one rotary tool will fit another. Had an old Arlec unit which finally gave up so all the little tool bits I thought would be good for the Super Cheap Auto unit that I bought. OK it's only $49 but I seems to have plenty of torque for what it is, but they don't provide a full range of collets sizes so only the tools provided or dremel tools will fit. Want to use a drill in it ? - too bad the collet doesn't take that size.

Maybe I'll still look at a Dremel or Triton unit.

Stuart
1st February 2006, 12:25 PM
Why buy the Triton Rotary tool with only 12months warranty when you can buy the tried and tested DREMEL 395VG with Flex shaft for an extra $6 plus a 5 YEAR WARRANTY.

Buy the DREMEL not the orange GMC:rolleyes:

Be very interested in how they compare. Once, long ago, Triton's policy was not to release a power tool unless they could offer some real innovations to its design. Wonder if that still holds true, in the comparison between Dremel & Triton? Assuming that both kits contain the same accessories, price is obviously not one of the deciding factors.

Markw
1st February 2006, 12:40 PM
Once long long ago in a galaxy far far away:

Woolworths fuel pricing policy was to match the lowest price competitor within a 2 km range then offer the 2 or 4 cent discount with a docket. Think that this still happens - fat chance.

A company's marketing policy only lasts as long as a change in pricing from their nearest competitor or a change in company structure - Bye Bye George & Hills, Hello GMC

Eagle
1st February 2006, 10:06 PM
Once long long ago in a galaxy far far away:

Woolworths fuel pricing policy was to match the lowest price competitor within a 2 km range then offer the 2 or 4 cent discount with a docket. Think that this still happens - fat chance.

A company's marketing policy only lasts as long as a change in pricing from their nearest competitor or a change in company structure - Bye Bye George & Hills, Hello GMC

How about go and try the tool. hearing Ozito compared to Triton is honestly quite laughable!

GMC do have a cheaper rotary tool and yes it works quite well. I think the thing with these tools is that they are not a tool that you use every day in your workshop. If you dont why pay big bucks? If its for the occasional engraving, sanding or grinding then the home brand will do the job. If using all day every day obviously a trade brand is the way to go.

In the end it comes down to how much you want to spend and how much you will actually use the tool.

Cheers:)

Markw
2nd February 2006, 08:13 AM
How about go and try the tool. hearing Ozito compared to Triton is honestly quite laughable!

Cheers:)

Eagle
If your going to quote me at least get it right! :mad: The discussion in that post refered to the way company policies change as a result of market influence, not whether the use of an Ozito brand was considered appropriate.

Additionally I don't know if you have a trade background (any of the manual arts style trades - Carpentry/Building, Fitting Machining, Automotive etc) or not, but most tradies and the majority of experienced woodworkers know that the quality of any given tool can effect the quality of the finished product. Ask anyone who has a cheap SCMS about cutting mitres - the $100 specials have a difficult time getting repeatable quality suitable for picture framing, but a Makita which is a high end product can normally achieve an acceptable result. Yes I realise that we are only talking of a rotary tool but the principle of garbage in = garbage out can still hold true.

woody62
2nd February 2006, 10:32 AM
Can't always judge a book buy it's cover or it's price.

Important things to consider with this type of tool is the rpm's (higher the range the better), Quality of chuck and size. You want to be able to use the full range of accessories that Dremel have available as they are easily availabale. Most cheapy tools have non standard chucks. Quality of the accessories. Most cheapie will wear out while they are spinning before the first use!

Motor quality, variable speed smoothness and noise level is not comparible

The Triton also comes with a high quality flexible drive, a vertical stand, a right angle attachment, an anglingl attachment etc all in a high quality carry case etc . . . . . .

Markw
2nd February 2006, 03:11 PM
Can't always judge a book buy it's cover or it's price.

Important things to consider with this type of tool is

Woody
Something to also consider but hard to achieve until already purchased is the torque of the motor. If using a large attachment causes the unit to slow to a stop then it just aint strong enough. I had this problem with the old arlec unit which realy did nothing more than fine etching on various materials.

dalejw
4th February 2006, 09:17 PM
If the Ozito, Triton and Dynalink rotory tools don't come out of the same factory and have the same insides I'll eat my own bum.

After just buying a rotory tool for my girlfriend that is making jewlery I went through all of em. All three of these have exactly the same speed control and on off switch configuration, the dynalink and ozito have the same outer case, the tritons is a little more um orange...

Lenghts and widths and weight is also the same. They are all too close to not have the same guts. What is more likely 3 companies have all developed rotory tools which are pretty much identical or they are buying them all from the same factory in china....

BTW the ozito is a winner (for now anyway)...

strider01
6th February 2006, 08:55 PM
Some interesting points in the last few pages. I am currently about to replace my dead Dremel and am looking for a new unit.

For the record my Dremel is only about 4 years old, hasn't done what I would consider a lot of work and only the other day one of the rotor bars on the motor let go and now I have a very nice looking paperweight!!

This needless to say doesn't impress me in build quality. Which got me looking around at rotary tools today at - Bunnings!! They had the Dremel, Ozito, GMC and Triton units thereranging from $45 for the GMC through to around $130ish for the Triton and the Dremel. To me Ozito seems to be a cheap brand (sorry if that offends anyone reading this) like GMC.

All units run at different RPM speedbands so the Triton is simply not a rebadged unit from someone else.

The GMC actually had the widest speedband of the lot. Since money is a bit tight I was looking at the GMC I have to admit (the unit does little work) but they had none and couldn't tell me when they were getting more.

After looking at what is included with the Triton unit though (flex shaft, etc) and compare that to the Dremel with a flex shaft (which costs an extra $100 at Bunnings) the Triton is looking to be the choice for me.

In my trade as a sparkie I tend to buy quality (read expensive) stuff even if it is slightly overpriced. I want to be able to use the tool whenever I need it and hopefully have it work every time. Just makes sense to follow this line I think!!

Just George
6th February 2006, 09:23 PM
Some interesting points in the last few pages. I am currently about to replace my dead Dremel and am looking for a new unit.

For the record my Dremel is only about 4 years old, hasn't done what I would consider a lot of work and only the other day one of the rotor bars on the motor let go and now I have a very nice looking paperweight!!

This needless to say doesn't impress me in build quality. Which got me looking around at rotary tools today at - Bunnings!! They had the Dremel, Ozito, GMC and Triton units thereranging from $45 for the GMC through to around $130ish for the Triton and the Dremel. To me Ozito seems to be a cheap brand (sorry if that offends anyone reading this) like GMC.

All units run at different RPM speedbands so the Triton is simply not a rebadged unit from someone else.

The GMC actually had the widest speedband of the lot. Since money is a bit tight I was looking at the GMC I have to admit (the unit does little work) but they had none and couldn't tell me when they were getting more.

After looking at what is included with the Triton unit though (flex shaft, etc) and compare that to the Dremel with a flex shaft (which costs an extra $100 at Bunnings) the Triton is looking to be the choice for me.

In my trade as a sparkie I tend to buy quality (read expensive) stuff even if it is slightly overpriced. I want to be able to use the tool whenever I need it and hopefully have it work every time. Just makes sense to follow this line I think!!

Interesting plug for Triton...

Stuart
9th February 2006, 09:41 AM
I have found the GMC one underpowered, so would be interested if anyone can compare the two (TMC and GMC that is).

strider01
11th February 2006, 10:58 AM
Interesting plug for Triton...

:confused: Not sure what you mean there Just George. The Triton rotary tool wouldn't be used in my day to day work at all. A rotary tool of any sort simply wouldn't last long enough to do industrial type work in my opinion. They are simply not built for that sort of thing.

I still however buy quality tools for home - just like I do for work. Maybe the others are alright to use but I had a GMC hammer drill given to me a few years ago by my dad for christmas. I drilled 1 and a half holes in concrete (it was a hammer drill after all) before the gearbox blew in it!! Scratch GMC gear of the list.

Borrowed an Arlec rotary tool of my dad yesterday and there is not enough torque in the motor to cut butter with it seems after working with it. Scratch Arlec off the list.

As I said earlier the Dremel I had had done fairly little amounts of work (probably used it for 10mins at a time if lucky maybe twice a month). The Dremel rotor bar in the motor let go and the unit is no good after that obviously. Scratch Dremel off the list.

In my time I have found cheap tools are just that - cheap. The Dremel was an exception - it wasn't cheap!!

I can only hope the Triton tool doesn't go the same way. We'll see. :)

Stuart
11th February 2006, 11:24 AM
Perhaps your byline should read toolkiller, not woodkiller!

mick61
11th February 2006, 11:24 AM
Hi I dont have much faith in the salesman at bunnings. Ask them if they have accually used the tools they are trying to sell you. Maybe the should have an album with there woodwork. then you might have a bit more faith. I dont think there is anything wrong with buying a cheaper tool when you first start out after all it`s your money ralph.

Timbo999
2nd March 2006, 04:57 PM

Why dont you return the Dremel - it has a 5 year warranty and you have only had it for 4??? The Triton only has a 2 year warranty - buy another DREMEL!!

Eagle
13th March 2006, 11:11 AM
If the Ozito, Triton and Dynalink rotory tools don't come out of the same factory and have the same insides I'll eat my own bum.

Would you like some salt with that??
Eagle:) :) :)

Eagle
13th March 2006, 11:15 AM
Eagle
If your going to quote me at least get it right! :mad: The discussion in that post refered to the way company policies change as a result of market influence, not whether the use of an Ozito brand was considered appropriate.

Additionally I don't know if you have a trade background (any of the manual arts style trades - Carpentry/Building, Fitting Machining, Automotive etc) or not, but most tradies and the majority of experienced woodworkers know that the quality of any given tool can effect the quality of the finished product. Ask anyone who has a cheap SCMS about cutting mitres - the $100 specials have a difficult time getting repeatable quality suitable for picture framing, but a Makita which is a high end product can normally achieve an acceptable result. Yes I realise that we are only talking of a rotary tool but the principle of garbage in = garbage out can still hold true.

Yes have a trade background (Plumber/Gasfitter) and do realise you get what you pay for.
:)

Tribo
16th March 2006, 03:33 PM
Have had new Triton rotary tool for a week and given it some use, very happy with it after blowing up Ozito. The case it comes in and the stand are handy. It has plenty of grunt and after using the Ozito this doesnt come out of the same factory and performs much better.