PDA

View Full Version : New Lathe ( new to me)

stevepay
15th January 2006, 08:22 PM

Just thought I would post a picture of the lathe I just picked up from Carbatec Perth for 90$...yes I said 90 dollars, it came with a very sturdy stand and runs beautiful.:D

I have been looking at the various MC900 / 1100 types for some time and was undecided :confused: and then I recieved an email from Carbatec saying they were selling off their old classroom lathes and I could not resist, before I had finished reading the email I was already on the phone with my credit card handy!

I realize it is not as big as some of the others or as flash as a new one but $90 for a record lathe with stand is bugger all really, a GMC from Bunnies is $95.;)

Skew ChiDAMN!!
15th January 2006, 10:27 PM
Believe me, your "new" toy is a lot better quality than the Bunnies jobs.

Good buy! May it provide you with a lot of fun. :)

TTIT
15th January 2006, 11:35 PM
Bargain! Would buy one just for a backup if it wasn't on the other side of the world!!!

La truciolara
16th January 2006, 06:01 AM
WHat a great purchase! 90$ ! ! !
you could have bought the entire class room...:)

bobz
16th January 2006, 03:39 PM
What you have there is either a Coronet number 0 or 1 lathe. This was a model of lathe made in England by the Coronet Tool Company which was bought up by Record Power some years ago. I have the last model designed by the company but then taken over by Record, a Record CL2 swivel head lathe. You have an excellent lathe there that will last your life time. Here`s a photo of mine.

Ozartisan
16th January 2006, 07:18 PM
I did manage to pick up a lathe bargain (I think) from a Bunnies Clearance house last year.
Had a tipoff they had a lathe (dunno what sort - but it's bloody heavy! said my informant). Had been to $400 from a retail price of around $1500.
Worth a look I thought so called in on the way home from work. Bits of lathe strewn over a pallet - looked to be enough to complete the unit.
Offered the manager $250 to take it off his hands - he seemed glad to be rid of it.
Got the bits home (all brand new - unused) to find I have a Record CL3-36 complete - as well as the headstock for a Record DML-24X.
Saw the CL3 on special in UK mags ay 499 POUNDS!
Just waiting to build the workshop up north, then I will put it together - should be a good little teaching lathe.
Just have to remember to lubricate the main bearings - no sealed roller bearings on these babies.

rsser
16th January 2006, 07:24 PM
Bingo StevePay. Well done.

bobz
17th January 2006, 01:53 PM
happyinsydney, you got yourself a bargain there. The back bearing of the headstock is a sealed ballrace, only the main bearing is plain bronze. The main bearing is adjustable for wear, just loosen the outer ring and tighten the inner ring to draw the bronze bearing onto the tapered mandrel and retighten the outer ring. The bearing only requires oiling with a medium to heavy oil when required. One or two drops is all that is needed. If the mandrel feels stiff to turn when starting a session on the machine then it needs oiling. Did you notice the variable speed upgrade on my lathe ? Could`nt go back to fixed speeds anymore, really is the buisness.

Ozartisan
17th January 2006, 06:07 PM
Reckon I did get a bargain Bob.
Will look at putting a variable speed on the motor after I get it up & running. I too am spoilt with variable speed - my main lathe is a DVR....
:)