PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for theif proof gate lock

MWF FEED
2nd October 2023, 02:30 AM
I have stuff I want to protect from thieves coming down the side drive of my house.

The drive will take a pair of steel framed and steel clad gates covering 3.6 metre / 12 foot.

I can set the gates up so that any lock etc isn't accessible on the approach (i.e. thief) side of them.

I can also set the gates up so that there aren't lift off hinges and that the hinges are very difficult to remove so that the gates come off with them.

Here are the problems I'm trying to solve.

1. Stopping the thieves coming over the top of the gates. Razor wire is a bit extreme, and I have grandchildren visiting and don't want to hurt them. Cutting spear heads into the sheet is possible and should be visible to grandchildren, but a thief could just push the points down and climb over it. Rollers?
2. Lock that's not susceptible to cordless grinder. I haven't found anything that's not susceptible to cordless grinder. The best I know of is this sort of interlocking lock that requires a fair bit more grinding or bolt cutting than most types.
3. Claymore mine. Somewhat indiscriminate but very effective in dealing with thieves on approach side. Is there a version of this which is legal in Victoria, Australia? :wink: Yes, I know there isn't, but it'd certainly deter thieves if they knew there was a risk of one of these shredding them as they approached their stolen prize!

Read the full thread at metalworkforums.com... (https://metalworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=209566&goto=newpost)