PDA

View Full Version : White ant treatment

attie
16th January 2006, 08:09 AM
I've just done a search in this section about the above without a result. I've got white ants in my pump shed, not that it's worth worrying about, but I'd like to get rid of them. I've got an estimate of $250 from the flick man but surely I can do it myself. I've had a look in Bunnings but that just confused me a bit as to what product would be best. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks
Wayne

coongoola
16th January 2006, 08:17 AM
G'day again Attie,

Try Termiticide or another brand. We bought ours from a rural produce store. It works well.

Pat

Gumby
16th January 2006, 08:20 AM
I've just done a search in this section about the above without a result. I've got white ants in my pump shed, not that it's worth worrying about, but I'd like to get rid of them. I've got an estimate of $250 from the flick man but surely I can do it myself. I've had a look in Bunnings but that just confused me a bit as to what product would be best. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks
Wayne

Maybe the pump shed isn't a worry but that's not where the nest is. They could go anywhere from there. If you kill them in the shed, you only get those that you spray. If you get the pest man to bait them, you kill the whole nest.

I know which way I'd be going.

knucklehead
16th January 2006, 09:38 AM
Gumby is right about baiting, but you need a fairly significant amount of activity for it to work.

I have just finished treating termites in my shed. The amount of termite activity was too small to bait so I just poisoned them. The quote to have my 6X6 shed done professionally for was $1000.
Instead I bought the poison which most termite guys use, "biflex aqua" " (http://www.globeaustralia.com.au/prodpterfmc.htm#biflexaqua)http://www.globeaustralia.com.au/prodpterfmc.htm#biflexaqua

If you are not a registered pest controller you can only buy the 1 ltr packs. These go for $100 each. It has taken 2 litres to do my 6X6 shed. I won't go into how treat the soil, talk to the experts at Globe. The good thing about the poison is it can also be used for other insects and is O.K to use inside.

attie
16th January 2006, 09:50 AM
I understand what you are saying Gumby and you are right. I think I know where the nest is but that off course is just a guess. They now make a treatment for cockroaches that they take back to home base so I'm wondering if they do for these ants that's available to us. Probably not, protected by some patent thingy or something

There's no floor in the shed Knucklehead, just 4 posts stuck in the ground and the shed is just 4' x 4' roughly. I just want to stop them from migrating elsewhere. I think if it cost $100 for the gear I'll get a pro to do it. Better safe than sorry later on.

Grum
18th March 2006, 11:43 AM
Hi Guys,
I would not be worrying about the shed they love houses as well..I use the Exterra system works great for me and if the little blighters do make it into the house the pest control company pay upto $100000 to fix any termite damage after a qualifying period.Nationwide in Brisbane do it for me..Thanks

Interwood
18th March 2006, 12:19 PM
Hi,

Exterra fixed my White Ant problem in a few weeks. However, very, very expensive. I've paid over $3,000 for 1 application and 18 plastic inspection stations, followed by 10 - 12 30 min visits to look at same.

Does anyone know where you can purchase the bait/chemical/paste/powder for DIY application. (White ants love the stuff and take it back to their nest where they share it with their mates.)

Interwood

Simomatra
18th March 2006, 12:37 PM
Hi late into this thread
There is a product called Pideons and can be purchased from farm supply stores

Cost approx $60 a litre which you then breakdown with water.

Has got rid of white ants from our fences and next doors light pole. No re occurences after. Done 2 years ago

Hope this helps

Cheers Samhttp://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon7.gif

Bluegum
5th April 2006, 01:28 PM
I might have to look into this as the house next door to us has just been treated for them. The bloke that did told me to buy a product which is Dursban based and mix it up. From there I can pout it around the concrete stumps of the house. He reckons its simple method of keeping them out of you home. He told me he could inspect the house for us and charge us $220 for the privilage of it or I can do it my self. The only thing that is stopping me from getting under the house at the moment is that we think a brown snake has decided to set up roost under there. Last time we saw him he was heading to the house next door. Be different if we we'rent stumped off the ground though.

powderpost
6th April 2006, 11:09 PM
I found termites working merrily in my shed. They had eaten out the majority of a cupboard that has doors. Doors are not a good move because that provides a nice dark place for them. An entamologist friend suggested a product called "Regent". It is only $400.00 per litre, not good. His second recommendation was "Lorsban" mixed as per instructions. After removing the cupboard, I sprayed the area with diluted lorsban. The animals had come up through a crack in the concrete slab. As has been said before, treatment of the nest is paramount. Have a look at the following web site. This trap will allow you to determine if the nest is still active and provides a method of feed them baits.
http://www.termitetrap.com.au/
Jim

Cliff Rogers
6th April 2006, 11:28 PM
I found white ants (termites) in my pumpshed too.

I slung a bit of petrol on them & they left in a hurry. :p

bugsy
21st April 2006, 12:20 PM
Thats funny about Globe supplying chemical to user who dont have a licence cause if you look at the label for biflex it would have "IMPORTANT" restricted chemical product only to be supplied to, or used by an authorised person."

Steer clear of any OP's , lorsban,dursban etc.
Not good to use, especially if you dont wear the PPE, like most DIYers do.;) Already banned in the USA.

Exterra is only one means of baiting.
Sentricon
Nemisis
as well.
Both work far better in my opinion and lot cheaper.

www.upma.proboards44.com (http://www.upma.proboards44.com)
united pest managers of australia message board

Bonnie
16th November 2007, 11:14 AM
In 1990 my ex obtained a product called Myrant to treat termites in our mango trees. I understant it was not on the market very long. Does anyone have any information on this poison.

Bonnie
16th November 2007, 11:33 AM
Please can you help me with some info on Myrant.