PDA

View Full Version : Holding Crosses are like a toy?

crowie
17th November 2023, 08:14 PM
Ladies & Gents,
I’m making a batch of “Holding Crosses” for my old Navy Retired Chaplin friend.

The chaplain at the retirement village were he & his wife live asked if anyone know a woodworker who could make a dozen large & a dozen small “Holding Crosses” for the high care folk.
My old Navy Retired Chaplin friend organised a couple of photos with measurements; a larger one for big hands and a smaller one for smaller hands.

So long story short, Papa Smurf, Handy Smurf and I are making the “Holding Crosses”.

We did a mixture of timbers and thicknesses using up offcuts awaiting a project!

Thank you Jan [aka Dutchy] for reminding me of "Kustoms Creations" as a finish option.

I wasn’t sure what or if Scott made a suitable product, so I rang him telling him what and why I was making the crosses.

He said he made a liquid beeswax which will do the job.

I spent a good few hours doing the shaping/sanding on the crosses, but then my bobbin sander stopped.

Upon investigation I found the brushes shot so have had to order a new set which will take 3-4days to arrive, bother!

Meanwhile, I ordered the Kustom Creations "Liquid Beeswax".

The Bobbin Sander was repaired along with a stack of hand sanding then finally the Kustom Creations Liquid Beeswax, 2 coats both sides.

This week I finally delivered them.
Cheers Peter

Treecycle
17th November 2023, 09:40 PM
Nice gesture and beautiful array of woods. Well done:thumbup1:

Dalboy
17th November 2023, 10:02 PM
Well done Peter I am sure they will be gratefully received. They look great.

As always the machines give up half way through

Peter White
18th November 2023, 05:16 AM
Hope you didn't use foul language when sander stopped had same problem with table saw, great looking crosses you have made.