PDA

View Full Version : The right way to rip and laminate big parts

rogerwilco
18th December 2023, 09:08 PM
I've ripped these celery top pine boards on the bandsaw. They'll be face-glued into long stretchers to match dimensions of bed posts. One board had a little bit of bow in, which is doubled when laminated. There's about 7mm spring in the joint (pair on the left in photo), and that can pulled shut with clamps no problem. I think it'll equalise.

I reckon a light pass through the thicknesser will give a better glue-line, as the boards are only skip planed right now. I know it's not necessary and a fool's errand to try and get flat faces before glue-up. Especially on material this big, I'd end up with a wafer!

Here's the question: Is what I'm planning a normal thing to do? I'm absolutely making this up as I go. Seems like it'll work, but if I had a dollar for every time I thought that...

AlexS
19th December 2023, 06:40 AM
I don't think you'll have any problems with that small amount of gap. How long after sawing did you take the photo? you might look at it this morning and find it's gone.

double.d
19th December 2023, 07:25 AM
I'll agree with Alex, bowes facing each other and you should not have a problem.

rogerwilco
19th December 2023, 06:38 PM
Thanks gents. Looks like it worked out fine.
I was unsure mostly about the single pass through the thicknesser for cleaner glue line.
Looks like that worked out fine too. Will see tomorrow when I put it through the jointer/thicknesser after glue cured.