PDA

View Full Version : Scorched laminex benchtop and cooktop

Geno
18th January 2006, 10:40 AM
I had a shocker this morning. I had a brain fart and placed a very hot coffee percolator on our Laminex benchtop. Of course it has left a nice round brown scorch mark on the benchtop. I think this is fatal, but to replace the bench top would be an enormously expensive as it is very large. Any ideas?

One that I have thought of is to cut the section out and place one of those insert\chopping board thingos in there.

To add insult to injury I then placed the hot percolator on the stainless steel section of our new Westinghouse ceramic cooktop. I now have a matching heat mark on the steel. Please tell me that this can be removed and how.

As an aside, we are very dissappointed with the Westinghouse cooktop. The main section scratched the first time we placed a pot on it and I would have thought the whole idea of stainless steel is that it doesn't stain. Suspect cheapo stainless steel is the culprit? It is a cheap cooktop though.

arms
18th January 2006, 06:39 PM
go to a plumbing outlet and buy a surface saver from clark ,cut it inot the top and magic !

renomart
18th January 2006, 09:31 PM
Is the benchtop a single length? Yes? Good! Replace.

Does it join to another top? Yes? Bad! - Do what Arms suggested!

---You could always leave the percolator on top of the scorch mark ;)---

Ian007
18th January 2006, 10:46 PM
or you could scorch the top several hundred times and have a one of a kind bench top that has a wicked repeating pattern to it!:p

Geno
19th January 2006, 07:33 AM
will buy a surface saver by the weekend. Bnechtop is large and is double L shaped so it has joins everywhere. Had a quick look at granite benchtop but price worked out about the same as the entire house!

Iain
19th January 2006, 07:47 AM
Brasso will clean uip stainless steel, did the same on our blanco cook top.
Stainless will scratch, just have to be careful.