PDA

View Full Version : Tip for removing threaded screw?

vGolfer
18th January 2006, 01:00 PM
I am trying to remove a door hinge from the door jam. Successfully managed removing 7 of the hinges (around 30 screws) but of course there had to be one screw where the top part where you put the phillips head screwdriver just won't grab. It is completely threaded.

Have tried hammering the screwdriver in (both phillips and normal) but the bloody thing just won't move.

Any tips are greatly appreciated for a novice like myself!

Thanks in advance

Eastie
18th January 2006, 01:03 PM
Drill the head until you can get the hinge over it then try either vice grips to get it out or forget about it as 2 screws are enough. One other method I've had success with is as above then drill a small hole in the shank of the screw - hammer in a small allen key and remove.

Stylesy
18th January 2006, 02:47 PM
If you've got a dremel or even just an engraving tool, you could try to carve a new slot for the driver to fit into.

redwood
18th January 2006, 03:10 PM
follow all the others advice but first get a soldering iron and heat the screw up real hot. the resulting expansion and contraction will ever so slightly crack the bond that has developed over the years. its the best way to remove old screws:D

vGolfer
18th January 2006, 04:10 PM
Thanks for the tips. I went to the hardware and bought a screw extractor that has a drill bit to drill into the screw, then an extractor to spanner in. Worked like a charm!

glock40sw
18th January 2006, 06:32 PM
G'day.
The easiest way is to drill a hole down the screw body and then just wind in an easy-out.
The old man's place had hardwood door jambs. this is how we did it with no failures.

Hooroo.
Regards, Trevor
Grafton