PDA

View Full Version : Schools with long courses

rtyuiop
20th January 2024, 10:34 AM
Hi all,

Been a long time since I've been on the forums - my job has mostly kept me out of the workshop for a while.

But I'm considering taking a career break in 2025 or 2026 and spending some time trying to improve my workshop skills. Are there other reputable schools out there with long courses (at least a semester) like Sturt? Can be in Oz or even international. Bonus points if they can also teach other things too (a little metal or glasswork for instance).

Danny

AlexS
20th January 2024, 04:48 PM
Danny, you've obviously looked at Sturt, there used to also be one in WA but I think it may have burned down in a bushfire some years ago. There is a wooden boat buildng course in Tasmania, I think it's still going.
Its 22 years since I was at Sturt, but as well as the woodwork & design, we interacted with Paul Davis, who was teaching ceramics, and the Jewellery artist in residence offered to teach me a bit of metalwork. The problem was a lack of time. You are spending so much time on woodwork projects that you don't have time for much that isn't part of the curriculum. Having said that, I've noticed recent students are including metal, fabrics etc in their work, so if it's being taught or skills they have brought with them I don't know.

rtyuiop
20th January 2024, 05:36 PM
Thanks! Yeah given they run short courses in a variety of things and have studios for a few different crafts, there must be some options there.

We'll see how we go - sturt is a good starting point, but honestly if I'm going to live away from home base here in Brisbane for a year I am hoping I can find somewhere a bit more exotic than Mittagong!

Tonyz
20th January 2024, 07:46 PM
but honestly if I'm going to live away from home base here in Brisbane for a year I am hoping I can find somewhere a bit more exotic than Mittagong!

option would be Seedknee or Milbbin :oo:

Pac man
20th January 2024, 11:29 PM
North Benett St School
Port Townsend School of WW

rtyuiop
21st January 2024, 12:18 PM
option would be Seedknee or Milbbin :oo:

Hah yeah, don't think there is lots of crossover between exciting destinations for a medium term visit and craft schools. There seems to be a sad lack of fine woodwork classes on carribean islands, for instance!

- - - Updated - - -

North Benett St School
Port Townsend School of WW

Many thanks, they both look worth investigating!

GraemeCook
23rd January 2024, 06:56 PM
Danny, I would also have a look at the Centre for Fine Woodworking in Nelson, New Zealand.
The Centre for Fine Woodworking (https://www.cfw.co.nz/)

Have a look at the work produced by both its tutors and its students.

rtyuiop
23rd January 2024, 07:19 PM
It is on my shortlist - love NZ so it's certainly tempting.

Some great schools out there. Just need to decide if I can take the leap of doing 6 months or a year without income!

ian
24th January 2024, 04:34 PM
Danny,
To the suggestions you already have I'll add

Krenov School of Woodworking [California] -- where James Krenov taught The Krenov School of Fine Furniture (https://thekrenovschool.org/)

Inside Passage School of Fine Cabinetmaking [Canada] School — IPSFC (insidepassage.ca) (https://www.insidepassage.ca/school)
Standard Canadian tourist visas last for 6 months, but you can't work and I'm not sure about your ability to study. If you are serious about attending investigate getting a Study Visa which would let you work while you study. In my son's case his study visa lets him work part-time during term time and full-time during term breaks.

For schools in Australia other than Sturt, you could try
Phoebe Everill -- Phoebe Everill Furniture Making School - Woodworking Classes Melbourne (https://www.phoebeeverill.com/furniture-making-school/) Phoebe's school is located outside Melbourne and although not mentioned on her website she's a good teacher and may take on a self-funded intern. Ask her.
There's a number of woodworker teachers based in Canberra, Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Sunshine Coast, etc. Again, when or if you contact them ask about the possibility of becoming a self-funded intern.

rtyuiop
24th January 2024, 05:48 PM
Thanks Ian, added those to my list.

I have been half looking at some of the individual teachers around but I think I want a school with multiple people to learn from. Although there are definitely some highly regarded individuals out there teaching by themselves!

GraemeCook
24th January 2024, 11:22 PM
I have been half looking at some of the individual teachers around but I think I want a school with multiple people to learn from.

I strongly agree with you.

I went back to uni in my late 60's and did a fine arts degree majoring in furniture design. Students were required to constantly critique each others work and ideas. It was daunting at first, but after a while I began to look forward to the sessions, both the formal ones and the constant informal discussions in the workshops, classrooms and coffee shop. So many ideas; some crazy, some brilliant; they all help. The experience was invaluable.

ian
4th February 2024, 02:51 PM
Hi Danny

The following link was in my inbox yesterday.

http://i1.cmail19.com/ei/j/D5/BCD/17A/192936/csfinal/28E1DCA7-E924-4451-9DB5-141A04652866_1_201_a-6afe2c181dfffd2d.jpeg (https://emailcampaign.2excel.com.au/t/j-l-shlluiy-hlfltkyx-y/)

Lie-Nielsen Wood School Reminder (https://emailcampaign.2excel.com.au/t/j-l-shlluiy-hlfltkyx-j/)
Series 1 & 2 - Essential (https://emailcampaign.2excel.com.au/t/j-l-shlluiy-hlfltkyx-t/) and Joinery (https://emailcampaign.2excel.com.au/t/j-l-shlluiy-hlfltkyx-i/)Skill Courses for March
Concentrating on skills and uses of Timber, Layout, Marking, Sharpening, Sawing, using Planes and Chisels, and Joinery, these 2 courses will lift your skills immediately if you are new to the craft and even if you have been working for a while part-time, there is much to learn. We have 2 tutors for only six students, closely monitoring your progress.
Booking Now, positions are still available.
(Please note that Strathalbyn gets busy in March, so early booking for accommodation is recommended).
All tools you will need are supplied.
For more information click here (https://emailcampaign.2excel.com.au/t/j-l-shlluiy-hlfltkyx-d/) for 2024 Classes

rtyuiop
4th February 2024, 03:05 PM
Thanks Ian! Didn't even know they ran courses there.

GraemeCook
26th February 2024, 09:20 PM
Hi Again Danny

Just received the latest issue of Australian Wood Review magazine - March 2024 - and coincidentally has a major article on the School of Fine Woodworking in Nelson, New Zealand, focusing on last year's students. Lots of photos.

The student's work is superb! And that is not an exaggeration.

Siggykc
27th February 2024, 05:52 PM
Danny,

In Australia it's really only Sturt. But it depends on your existing skill level and what you want to gain from going back to school.

In the US with regards to longer courses they have the Krenov/College of the Redwoods on the West Coast, and the North Bennet Street School on the East Coast...the former is more of a hippy/lifestyle approach with 1 year (i think) courses, whilst the latter is more traditional and 2 years long. I believe North Bennet Street School also have a course in historic building joinery which is of particular interest for those who are moreso into historic windows, doors etc.
If you want more exotic, then there is the Carl Malmsten school which is also known as the Capellagården in Oland, Sweden. This is a fantastic school and I actually know the man who builds workbenches for them but that is another story.

There are many other options, like informal and formal apprenticeships with particular craftsmen around the world. I know of people who spent a few years in Japan, and other who did the same in continental Europe - learning their craft from specific craftsmen.

It just depends if you want more of a crash course in some basic techniques, a philosophical lifestyle type course, or if you want to go into production of some sort and learn in a more so structured and pragmatic course.

None of them are right nor wrong, it is totally a matter of what you want to achieve.

Cheers,
Siggy

rtyuiop
27th February 2024, 06:48 PM
Hi Again Danny

Just received the latest issue of Australian Wood Review magazine - March 2024 - and coincidentally has a major article on the School of Fine Woodworking in Nelson, New Zealand, focusing on last year's students. Lots of photos.

The student's work is superb! And that is not an exaggeration.

Thank you! I will track down a copy of AWR.

rtyuiop
27th February 2024, 06:59 PM
Yeah, I am looking at this as a chance to take a year off from fiddling with computers first and foremost (subject to finance!) and then secondly at the end of the year deciding if I want to try to make a living doing fine woodwork.

I am under no illusions about the difficulty and chances of success at actually generating income, though. So really I am treating it as a sabbatical, but with a chance of being productive - which is why location is important.

Toomnus
27th February 2024, 07:39 PM
They have gotten the Cert IV in Furniture Design and Manufacturing back up and running this year at Tafe in Coffs Harbour NSW. Not the most exotic location but it’s a great course.

I did it a few years ago in its previous iteration and it’s far from everyone making the exact same thing as specified by them. For example our final project brief was to build a ‘tabular surface’. So there was coffee tables, workbench’s, bedside tables etc.

Just thought it was worth putting it out there!

rtyuiop
27th February 2024, 09:43 PM
Oh that is actually quite interesting. I can think of worse things than not-quite full time study close to a beach!

Toomnus
28th February 2024, 09:56 AM
Well let me know if you have any questions,
I am only half around it as I work in the Ceramics section at the moment.

Here’s the link for anyone that may be interested

Certificate IV in Furniture Design and Manufacturing MSF40222-01 | TAFE NSW (https://www.tafensw.edu.au/course-areas/carpentry-joinery-and-furniture/courses/certificate-iv-in-furniture-design-and-manufacturing--MSF40222-01)

GraemeCook
13th March 2024, 11:54 PM
Good Morning Danny

David Haig, tutor at the Centre for Fine Woodworking in Nelson, NZ has published an article on furniture design in the current (April 2024) issue of Fine Woodworking magazine which I have just received. Worth looking at.

Graeme

snowgum
18th March 2024, 02:20 PM
Hi Danny

Yes The Sturt School for Wood offers a 12 month course. The Course offered is a VET Cert IV in Industrial Design called Cert IV in Furniture Design and Manufacturing. It is considered one of the finest courses available worldwide. Including course fee's, accommodation and living expenses, required tools and materials, you will need to budget at least $80,000 or more for the year as you will need to live close to the school. The course is aimed at people wanting a career in fine furniture making and design. Here is the link to the schools website;-
Course Description - Sturt | School of excellence in arts, design & fabrication (https://www.sturt.nsw.edu.au/education/sturt-school-for-wood/course-description)

For entry you will be required to provide a portfolio prior to acceptance into the course. The course is very intensive and certainly full time requiring a lot more than the 40 hours of classroom study each week. Only 12 students are accepted each year and there is a waiting list, so if accepted you may still have to wait a year of two to enter the school.

Sturt has on occasion offered both summer and winter short courses in craft including woodwork. However The Sturt School for Wood which is part of the Frensham Schools in Mittagong is conducting a review of the viability for the provision of the short courses into the future and currently all future short courses have been suspended pending the outcome of this review.

Alternatively

If you are wanting to develop your fine wood working skills to the highest level my suggestion would be to pursue private tutorage with one of the great master teachers such as Stuart Falkner (NSW), Pam and Neil Erasmus (WA), Damion Fauser (Qld), plus many others.

There are verousious courses available internationally which are also worthwhile investigating.

Camelot
18th March 2024, 03:19 PM
What level of woodworking skill's do you already have and what do you feel you need to improve upon?

There are lot's of neat & tidy woodworkers that can do all the joints really well, but for me it's the individuals creativity that sets them apart from the rest regarding the pieces they make.

While a woodworking course can greatly increase your skillset to a level of accomplishment where you will receive a recognized qualification and to some degree stimulate your creativity, it doesn't guarantee at the end of the course you will be a creative woodworker.

Don't get me wrong to make a living from woodworking you don't have to be creative you just need to be able to copy/reproduce items that are in demand at an acceptable standard and at a competitive price, however if you can make speculative interesting pieces, that start to give you a edge over your competition then you can start to ask more for your work and in turn what you do should become more rewarding.

rtyuiop
31st March 2024, 03:07 PM
Thanks all and apologies for not replying, been travelling for work and effectively offline!

Especially thanks to snowgum for the in depth info on Sturt. They are very much a contender, and I can't find a bad word about them anywhere, which is quite an achievement. The only downside is if I want to take a career break from my boring desk job it's really tempting to go somewhere international, just for the experience of living overseas.

royflatmate
31st March 2024, 09:09 PM
Not sure if you’ve aware but there will not be a full time course next year at Sturt . All courses have been canceled as from the start of next term including the winter school. Gallery will be open for another month or two and all staff have been let go.

The current full time students will finish this year but unsure where their exhibition will be.

A review committee has been appointed and have to report back to Frensham early June.

Pretty sad how the whole thing has been handled.

cheers Roy

rtyuiop
1st April 2024, 09:12 AM
Not sure if you’ve aware but there will not be a full time course next year at Sturt . All courses have been canceled as from the start of next term including the winter school. Gallery will be open for another month or two and all staff have been let go.

The current full time students will finish this year but unsure where their exhibition will be.

A review committee has been appointed and have to report back to Frensham early June.

Pretty sad how the whole thing has been handled.

cheers Roy

Ah, no I hadn't heard, that's terrible news, especially for the staff effected but also just for the whole wood scene in Australia!

AlexS
2nd April 2024, 09:12 AM
Only heard this news by email this weekend. Sounds like the bean-counters have taken over. Winifred West would be spinning in her grave. I suppose the WWS group can revert to their old specialty of producing brides for the landed gentry.

GraemeCook
2nd April 2024, 10:28 AM
Ah, no I hadn't heard, that's terrible news, especially for the staff effected but also just for the whole wood scene in Australia!

It really is.

When you treat people like that, you destroy your own credibility and staff move on. Talented people find moving on to be the easiest. When the school reopens, assuming it does, not all staff will be available.

Their most valuable asset is their staff, incredibly talented, and they have been white anted by "management".

AlexS
2nd April 2024, 03:19 PM
The Sturt Nominee on the Board of directors is Ms Kirsty McIvor, a journalist and media consultant. I would suggest that any alumni and others interested contact her at [email protected] to find out more information. I will certainly be doing so.
A new head of Frensham took over in May last year. It seems as though he has decided that he has to make changes to impress his leadership on the school board.