PDA

View Full Version : A suitable timber species?

Oztone
7th March 2024, 11:48 AM
Hi all

I am in need of replacing a dining table. The placement of the table is in a large north facing conservatory slye room. Think big glass windows with lots of light.
It's in the NSW Alpine are.
The current table has copped a lot of sun.
My question is what would be a suitable aussie timber for indoor use, but see a lot of sun in the summer months?

Cheers

mic-d
7th March 2024, 06:13 PM
Why not restore the old one? No timber and not many if any clear finishes stands up to UV very well. An oil finish would likely be the easiest for up keep though on a regular basis. Finishes that make a coating are more difficult to restore once they inevitably fail. Have you thought of putting a UV cut film on the windows?

crowie
7th March 2024, 09:37 PM
Have a talk to Dean at Living Timbers in Penrith as he custom makes tables for clients... Top bloke, Cheers crowie

Oztone
8th March 2024, 07:06 AM
Why not restore the old one? No timber and not many if any clear finishes stands up to UV very well. An oil finish would likely be the easiest for up keep though on a regular basis. Finishes that make a coating are more difficult to restore once they inevitably fail. Have you thought of putting a UV cut film on the windows?
The old dining table is not particularly attractive. For a bunch of reasons it needs replacing.

orraloon
8th March 2024, 04:49 PM
Just about all timbers will darken with UV exposure over time so that gives you plenty to pick from. The trick may be to keep the UV off the new table as much as you can.
Pick a wood you like the look of.
Regards
John

Prle77
8th April 2024, 03:19 PM
have you thought about putting UV filtering foil on your windows.. (window tint)...
you have various tints .. some do not darken too much but do block UV light..
this is in conjunction with new table :)

truckjohn
8th April 2024, 11:55 PM
It's probably worthwhile to consider your desired color and grain for how it will fit into the rest of the decor, and then work backwards to the wood. For example, a really dark chocolate brown table may look out of place with lighter, beige furniture and appointments. You get the idea.

clear out
9th April 2024, 08:45 AM
What sort of heating in winter?
I ask because I made a table a few decades back that was ‘designed’ by a Architect or similar person not knowledgeable about timber movement.
Anyhu the table was like a big surfboard with a contrasting stringer up the guts.
Delivered it to the fancy Northside address and noticed they had underfloor heating.
Got a complaint re the ends were opening up.
The end was in direct full sun and the heating was also in use.
Managed to fudge up an acceptable fix but made me very wary of any heat source around solid timber furniture even if correctly constructed.
H.