PDA

View Full Version : must see places in Tasmania? sawmills etc??

TimberNut
20th January 2006, 02:13 PM
I am visiting Tasmania next month and am interested in suggestions for Sawmills, Galleries and any other timber related locations whilst there.

All suggestions welcome.

SWMBO thinks we are 'sightseeing' in TAS for 2 weeks. I intend the 'sites' to consist of plenty of woodshavings, sawdust, wood turning, cabinetmaking, joinery etc (but don't tell her that!)

I am from Sydney and have never been to Tassie so anyone who can assist with 'must see attractions' that would interest a wood turner please advise!

Thanks in advance,
Ian.

RufflyRustic
20th January 2006, 03:07 PM
OK so it's not a sawdust-related sight, but the drive up and view from Mt Wellington is awesome.

Lucky you. A great time of year for a trip to Tassie. Hope you get to bring home some lovely sass and huon.

cheers
RufflyRustic

Shedhand
20th January 2006, 03:53 PM
Tahune Airwalk near Geeveston south of Hobart.
A number of speciallist swmills in the Huon (on the way to and from the Tahune Airwalk - Hang on a minute sweety (SWMBO), just wanna step into this sawmill :D:D )
The Wall in the Wilderness at Derwent Bridge. Amazing.
Bernie Bradshaw's Mill at Lynchford (South of Queentown on Tassies West Coast) where you can buy a Huon Pine stump, sawn huon pine, sawn King Billy, Myrtle, Sassafras, etc, etc.
Randy Morrison's Sawmill and Craft shop at Strahan.
Dismal Swamp near Smithton (near Britton's Sawmill - hang on a minute sweety (SWMBO), just wanna step into this sawmill :D:D).
That should keep you busy for a week.;);););)
Welcome to Tassie, you won't wanna leave and when you do I bet you'll be back.:D:D

TassieKiwi
20th January 2006, 04:24 PM
While 'er indoors is at the Saturday Market at Salamanca (Hobart waterfront) check out the galleries housed all along the old buildings' ground floors. There is one near the south end that has a children's rockinghorse out front - fabulous pieces in there of Myrle, huon, sassy etc. Then mosey along to Irish Murphy's for a top Guinness.;)

Baz
20th January 2006, 05:44 PM
Richmond, only a short drive from Hobart.
Boat Harbour for a coffee whilst taking in a grat view.
Tullah, gallery and timber.
Stanley, Cockatoo Timbers and the Nut
Launceston, Cataract Gorge
Cheers
Barry

Ashore
20th January 2006, 05:54 PM
While 'er indoors is at the Saturday Market at Salamanca (Hobart waterfront) check out the galleries housed all along the old buildings' ground floors. There is one near the south end that has a children's rockinghorse out front - fabulous pieces in there of Myrle, huon, sassy etc. Then mosey along to Irish Murphy's for a top Guinness.;)
While at the markets look for the plane man, unfortunately he knows his stuff and prices accordingly . realy top old used tools though

Iain
20th January 2006, 06:35 PM
Penstock, great fly fishing:D

bsrlee
20th January 2006, 07:54 PM
Based on my 2 trips a few years ago:

When in Strachan, remember 2 things - take a LARGE can of Aerogard & do the boat trip out to the harbour morth & up the river to the limit of navigation. When you get above the salt water, the river looks like a sheet of black glass. The boat's wake is like someone pouring a glass of Guiness/cola.

There is a very nice galler on the way from Hobart to the West Coast, can't remember the town's name, but the road does a double 90 bend into town - the gallery is on the outside of the 2nd bend. There is also a very old fashioned bakery/pie shop at the west end of town, with good pies *& sausage rolls, not frozen rubbish.

The Australian Antartic HQ n Kingstown (just south of Hobart) is a nice couple of hours, and the view from Telegraph hill is also good & a bit lower & closer than Mt Wellington.

Dion N
20th January 2006, 10:28 PM
The Wooden Boat Building Centre at Franklin in the Huon valley
http://www.woodenboatschool.com

Timberyard (Not sure of the name - might be Tas Fine Timbers), Cemetery Road, Geeveston

rick_rine
20th January 2006, 11:00 PM
Port Arthur , The east coast , Huon Valley , Cradle mountain and The Nut at Stanley are all a must see if you have the good luck to visit our wonderful island . 2 weeks is not nearly enough time but good on you for making the effort .

Stubchain
21st January 2006, 01:09 PM
Ian, where are you entering Tassie, Hobart, Launceston or via boat into Devonport. Like most places it has tourist routes and main attractions. Where you go will depend on what type of people you are.

For instance if you are fit and healthy and don’t mind a bit of a walk places like Wine Glass Bay and Cradle Mountain are very nice, forget it if you have trouble walking up a few flights of stairs.

Tassies most popular tourist attraction is Port Arthur. There are some great little places to stop off on the way to the Tasman Peninsular, and some nice places to stay for a few days. There are some woody places all through the peninsular. Believe it or not Tasmania’s second biggest tourist attraction is the Cadbury’s chocolate factory, can’t understand why!! Everyone has different taste, myself I think that the east coast is great with some fantastic coastal scenery.

There are many galleries and wood related places dotted all around the State, Salamanca Market is great but only open on a Saturday (8.00am to about 2.00pm). The Huon Valley has some nice wood related places, and the trip to the Tahune Airwalk passes through most of them.

You would have already visited the Tourism Tasmania website I’m sure, but here it is if you have not. http://www.discovertasmania.com.au There are some fantastic wineries as well.

If you do nothing else in Tasmania you must have a meal at the Astor Grill in Macquarie Street, Hobart and have the “Crayfish Pate”, trust me it is to die for.

If you want a real wood experience Forestry Tasmania has a few interpretation centres around the state as well as tourist attractions (http://www.forestrytas.com.au/forestrytas/)

For a real woody experience you could also try a personalised tour of SWE (Stubchains Wood Extravaganza). Very reasonable rates, $180 per person (includes a cup of tea and a biscuit). No children or animals. Tour lasts for 3.5 minutes.

AlexS
21st January 2006, 10:32 PM
Timberyard (Not sure of the name - might be Tas Fine Timbers), Cemetery Road, Geeveston
Also visit Phillips Sawmill, Scotts Rd. Geeveston, and the heritage centre in town.

In Salamanca Place, visit Despard Gallery - they usually have some interesting stuff there.

TimberNut
26th January 2006, 08:57 PM
thanks for all the wonderful suggestions guys.

if there are any more out there, please suggest away (I'd hate to miss any good ones!)
Ian

Shedhand
26th January 2006, 09:03 PM
thanks for all the wonderful suggestions guys.

if there are any more out there, please suggest away (I'd hate to miss any good ones!)
IanMaaaate!
If that's a pic of SWMBO in your Avatar I'll be happy to baby sit her while you're touring the sawmills...:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D