PDA

View Full Version : Triton in a Woodpecker

Carry Pine
21st January 2006, 11:56 AM
I have recently become so frustrated with the you-beaut Triton router in the not-so-great Triton table and decided to upgrade the table. The 'Woodpecker' plate insert looked good and the Triton router is now in the table top. Just wondering if anyone else has done the same as I have questions about dust extraction and having to drill through the plate to attach the router.

Harry72
21st January 2006, 01:33 PM
Do you mean the TLR Phenolic Router Plate?
I thought it was allready drilled for the triton?

Go the uni-lift!(got one for Xmas... gloat gloat!:))

Carry Pine
23rd January 2006, 07:55 AM
The phrenolic plate is predrilled ( with a thread) but not for the Triton Router. Don't know which router it's drilled for.

Harry72
23rd January 2006, 09:52 AM
They list one drilled for the triton, is that the one you received?

Carry Pine
24th January 2006, 05:45 PM
No, they may drill one for the Triton but I don't have that one. I am working on the dust collection now and have the 3 inch port going into a Triton dust collection fitting via some water pipe descending fittings. I used the new table today for the first time and couldn't believe how much better it felt. Did some biscuits which came out exactly right. Does anyone have one of these Woodpecker router tables?

Auld Bassoon
24th January 2006, 05:51 PM
Hi Carry,

I built my own, but using the Woodpeckers "engineered" table top and phenolic inserts (with a Triton monster under it), and some T track & T track "gold".

Very flat, very stable. Very nice!

Termite
24th January 2006, 05:56 PM
Using Incra ground aluminium insert in a homemade top, paradise. Came pre-drilled for the Triton and they even supplied the mounting screws. Imported it before Graeme started his business.

Harry72
24th January 2006, 09:06 PM
And a very good business it is to, they treat their customers very well... even after Austraila Post bent my mitre track!(they've been have much trouble with postage companys)

Gwhat
26th January 2006, 08:01 AM
Hi all,

Our TLR Phenolic Plates are available in 2 forms;
1/ Pre-drilled to suit Triton (the good folk in Taiwan who make the TRA-001 'borrowed' the mounting hole pattern from the Porter Cable 7518)

2/ Blank, for easy drilling to suit any other router.

Unlike other plates, these are made from 10mm Phenolic a thermosetting plastic as opposed to plates made from thermoplastics that are prone to sag under the weight of routers, particularly 'jumbo' routers like the Triton.

Generally the cupboard that supprts the table top has a enclosed box that connects to a dust extraction unit.

Regards

The Woodworker

Carry Pine
27th January 2006, 07:15 PM
Hi all,

Our TLR Phenolic Plates are available in 2 forms;
1/ Pre-drilled to suit Triton (the good folk in Taiwan who make the TRA-001 'borrowed' the mounting hole pattern from the Porter Cable 7518)

2/ Blank, for easy drilling to suit any other router.

Unlike other plates, these are made from 10mm Phenolic a thermosetting plastic as opposed to plates made from thermoplastics that are prone to sag under the weight of routers, particularly 'jumbo' routers like the Triton.

Generally the cupboard that supprts the table top has a enclosed box that connects to a dust extraction unit.

Regards

The Woodworker
The phrenolic plate that I have was definitely not drilled for a Triton. Tapped threaded holes are 100mm apart in a square and from the top of the plate have the shape of a square. The Triton needs holes 105mm apart and for the Router to be 'square' under the table (accessible) holes need to be in the shape of a cross. To fit standard shaped bolts similar (but longer) than those holding the bottom plate on the Triton the holes need to be countersunk. My point is that for a plate that should 'fit', mine has 4 extra holes and some ordinary countersinking.
having said that, the new table top, fence and mitre track is a zillion times better than the orange gear which is now stacked at the back of the garage.

Gwhat
28th January 2006, 07:36 AM
The phrenolic plate that I have was definitely not drilled for a Triton. Tapped threaded holes are 100mm apart in a square and from the top of the plate have the shape of a square. The Triton needs holes 105mm apart and for the Router to be 'square' under the table (accessible) holes need to be in the shape of a cross. To fit standard shaped bolts similar (but longer) than those holding the bottom plate on the Triton the holes need to be countersunk. My point is that for a plate that should 'fit', mine has 4 extra holes and some ordinary countersinking.
having said that, the new table top, fence and mitre track is a zillion times better than the orange gear which is now stacked at the back of the garage.

A common conclusion, 'though incorrect, Let me explain....

The 4 tapped holes are for the brass starter pin, which provides a fulcrum or rest when hand routing.

Phenolic plates ordered in the last 6 mths have had the option of being ordered as 'Triton' or 'blank' fo other routers. The Triton plate has '7518' engraved in a corner, the original 'owner' of that hole pattern.

To drill a blank plate to suit any router is simply a matter of dounle sidded taping the rooters sub-base to the plate and using it as a template to drill the plate and counterbore to accept the mounting screw heads. Should ou need longer screws for the Triton they are 1/4" 20 threads available at any good hardware or bolt shop.

I hope this clarifies things?

Regards

The Woodworker