PDA

View Full Version : Festool Circular Saw.

underused
21st January 2006, 01:29 PM
Hello,
Does anyone own, or had a good look around the festool Circular Saw. I've heard a lot of good things about it, except the price:eek: Good for those of us with no space, that need portability.
I've read a few reviews. but wondering if anyone has has their hands on one, or seen one in action.
Cheers. Gary.

Greg Q
21st January 2006, 04:36 PM
I think that one of our Tokyo based members has one. Maybe he'll chime in.
I can't help you personally, but I have heard that they are very good. Have you joined the user's group on Yahoo?

Greg

QldWoodie
21st January 2006, 07:04 PM
I have the 55mm plunge cut saw with the Festo vac (dust extraction), and guide rail system. All up this costs close to $2000 versus maybe $200 for the Makita with no dust extraction (I have a Makita too). Don't buy the Festo without also getting the Vac. The plunge cut design is all about containing the dust. You can also use (should use) the Vac on the router and random sander. The guide rail can also be used on the router. Not sure if the Festo vac fits other brands of routers or ROS's.

The Festo works as advertised - cuts as clean and precise as a table saw and no saw dust. Really. At the end of a cut in 1 inch thick MDF you can see no dust. If you are working with MDF or particle board or ply and you don't have a panel saw or table saw with sliding table then the Festo will do the job in a way that no other portable tool will. This is what I use mine for. If you are working inside a house fitting kitchen cabinets for example, then the Festo is also the way to go. No dust, precision cuts.

For regular cuts in the workshop or out in the field where dust and precision is not such an issue and where a portable tool is called for I use the Makita.

Qw

gazbee65
22nd January 2006, 01:33 PM
festools are one the best power tools on the market, however the cordless drills wont take a drop off a 6' ladder, whereas a makita will. i have both and the makita really, wins hands down. even so i dont want to take anything away from the festool, german engineering precision the BMW of tools. the vac will fit most tools with an extraction system as will any other cheaper industial vac. festool are an expensive tool including the extras especially for the cordless gear. if you cant afford it get a cheap makita use a straight edge clamped to material it does the same thing.

Carpntr969
28th January 2006, 03:41 PM
Got the larger circular saw a couple of months ago. i barely use any of the other 4 regular ones anymore! i ose it to trim the doors i make(to 10' long) & hve have struck 16' cuts with only 2 clamps that were within 1/16" of dead on! The plunge cut for stopped cuts works well with the stops, however be sure to hold the tool FIRMLY! It does have a lot of power & if the blade is a bit used it'll try to come back. The angle/bevel set-up is solid, the dust collection is great but be sure to check it regularlly. The vac is so good that it fills up quickly. You can open thebag & tape it shut 5-8 times. The bags aren't cheap. here I pay $30.00 for 5. All in all it's a good tool. Once you have the main unit you can gang together the additional tools. My next is the random orbit sander, it's supposed to be better that the bosch. I'll find out. Good luck!

Gaza
28th January 2006, 06:05 PM
Got two TS55 with Fein vacs, cut rubber, aluminuim plastic and heaps of MDF even cut a series of rebates into some 100 yr old blackbutt posts, used 24tooth blade.

great tool, greta news is price has droped about 200 bucks in last 12 months.

no replacment for table saw but a good option for site work / ripping sheets to size.

silkwood
31st January 2006, 11:08 AM
I have the older model, as the TS didn't work with the basis table at the time. My brother in law has the TS. Both brilliant machines. With the guide I can trim a few mil off a door base with absolute accuracy. I use it always with an extractor.

I also have a Festool cordless, which I have dropped off a ladder a couple of times. no problem (though not recommending it). I bought it after my Makita broke when dropped!:confused:

Cheers.

Rosethorn
31st January 2006, 12:58 PM
Worth every cent you spend on it - had mine for a couple of years now and can't beat it for doing things like trimming doors, cutting sheet material, floor boards(in place) etc, etc . And I don't need HWMBO to help hold sheets for cutting (it's the only time I have ever had kickback was when he was 'helping' ) - I have a table set up with a 3mm sacrificial sheet underneath and away you go cutting - safe - no kickback etc.
A lot of schools are now using them because of the safety factors
cheers rosethorn

Carpntr969
1st February 2006, 03:53 PM
HWMBO??
Hmmmmm.

Rosethorn
1st February 2006, 10:20 PM
makes him feel like he's achieving something;)
rosethorn

luke '74
2nd February 2006, 05:14 PM
i have the TS 55 EBQ and couldn't recomend it more highly!
it is the difference between driving a commodore and a porsche.
with the guide rail system it saves me heaps of time, ie money.
and i get an excellent finnish.
are you worth it?

micknews
8th February 2006, 03:39 PM
I also have the TS55 and love it apart from one thing, and to my mind and important one. The depth setting mechanism does not align with the graduations on the scale, falling between the graduations when it locks. So you are not sure whether you assume it is the lesser or greater depth on the scale. I also found the deeper you set the stop the more error between the scale and the actual depth of cut.
Not a real big deal but when festool claim the accuracy they do in all the glossy literature I was not happy Jan!. Hate false/misleading advertising. I took it up with Festool here and Brett barker was very helpful finding out from Germany that it was a known problem but they weren't/couldn't do anything about it. To their credit via Brett I was offered a full refund if I wanted to take it back.
I didn't as , as I have already said I love everything else about it.
So if you aren't worried about making accurate plunge cuts go for it, you won't regret it.

Mick.

jahman
22nd February 2006, 09:50 AM
i have been installing kitchens and cutting engineered stone on site under subcontract;1 new and one older model 55 saw;jigsaw;random orbit sander for polishing the engineered stone;closed handle cordless;all festo.i have used this equipment for 3 years and really pushed it the whole time under extreme stress;it would be fair to say i may have abused the tools at times,such was the pressure of the job;they have not let me down ever;i cant believe it;i am now using them in my timber furniture studio;saw can work like a sliding table saw with some advantages and as much accuracy;wouldnt use any other brand

patr
23rd February 2006, 07:42 AM
Hello to all in Oz from darkest and very wet Wales! The TS55 is a cracking saw and its precision, build quality and sheer feelgood factor more than makes up for the high initial purchase price. I have replaced a radial arm saw and a bench saw with this superb tool and using the guide rail and the CT Mini dust extractor can shave off wood to the mm with virtually no dust. Using the MFT table and the guide rail allows cuts of phenominal accuracy and the finished cut is almost good enough be ready for finish. I am now saving up for the Domino jointer having seen it demonstrated and it is a pricey but awesome tool. The only concern I have with Festool is the Systainer boxes which are marvellous but difficult to scrim up out of view of the inquisitive eyes of the joint account holder! :)

Kind regards
Hwyl am rwan
Pat

harcx
23rd February 2006, 08:34 AM
Worth every cent you spend on it - had mine for a couple of years now and can't beat it for doing things like trimming doors, cutting sheet material, floor boards(in place) etc, etc . And I don't need HWMBO to help hold sheets for cutting (it's the only time I have ever had kickback was when he was 'helping' ) - I have a table set up with a 3mm sacrificial sheet underneath and away you go cutting - safe - no kickback etc.
A lot of schools are now using them because of the safety factors
cheers rosethorn

HWMBO
Love it
HarcX

niki
23rd February 2006, 08:37 PM
I'm also looking for the festool saw.

Found this site, full review with pics and videos.
http://www.thewoodshop.20m.com/festool_atf_55e_part1.htm

Hope it helps
niki

riri
25th March 2006, 03:06 AM
Hello from Brussels to all of you on this forum,

I've been using a TS 55 for 4 years now and all i can say is congrats to Festool. It is a superb product and i use it almost everyday. It gives you the accuracy on and on. I recently bought the TS 75 which is excellent for thicker sheets or solid wood but when i can i always go back to my TS 55.

czk
4th April 2006, 02:51 PM
I just found the original receipt for my AXT55 and discovered it has turned 20 (thats 20 years). Price... $165 :eek: