PDA

View Full Version : HAFCO ST-10SD sliding table saw is on special !

NewWoody
24th January 2006, 11:23 AM
Dear kind folks,
You may be interested to know that the HAFCO ST-10SD Sliding Table saw is on special at the moment for $729. :)

Here's the earlier thread about this saw.

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=25929&highlight=st-10sd

Bar the paint job and stickers, it is identical to the Carbatec CT-10ST , which retails for $995.:cool:

The specials advertisement is on page 15 of the current issue of The Australian Woodworker.

Cheers

sol381
25th January 2006, 08:15 AM
It looks like adecent table saw but it seems to me it just doesnt have the grunt.. Being 1125w(1 1/2hp ) to me doesnt have enough power and would struggle against aything not pine. I would look at some thing at least 2 hp.. The saw under that one in the jafco catalogue, the st250 looks a far superior saw. It has enclosed stand to prrevent duct in teh motor. A nice sliding table and double the power and all for just a few hundred more.

http://www.hareandforbes.com.au/sample_2/home.php

stef

NewWoody
25th January 2006, 08:53 AM
Stef, most contractor saws are arround 1 to 1.5 hp. I think it's not true to suggest these machines are limited to cutting pine. I personally have not seen a 1.5 hp saw struggle cutting some serious hardwood we have here.

Of course, the heavier duty units in the cabinet saw category would do the hard yakka cutting with greater ease.

Horses for courses really, for the work that I want to do of hobby furniture making and renovation, a 1.5 hp machine would be fine for me.

Now, with the ST-10SD on special at $729, the ST250 is about $521 more.

At $1250 for the ST250, that's beyond my budget.

sol381
25th January 2006, 09:13 AM
Yeah your right mate.. Forgot about the discounted price.. Im sure it will domost jobs.. Its just that a mate of mine had a 1hp machine and it was crap.. Granted it was a cheapie brand so it may have put me off the smaller horse machines.. The 10sd does look liek anice machine..
If you do go and purchase it give a quick review on your fellings about the machine. I have a bit of hafco stuff and it is all very good quality.
stef

Iain
25th January 2006, 09:42 AM
I've cut 50mm jarrah with my 1.5hp hafco, didn't even slow down.
Then I don't force everything into the blade, just nicely feel my way through.
The cheap crap 1hp are generally brush motored screamers, even the 2hp lack some guts.
Had my Hafco for 2 years now and very happy with it, does everything and more I ask of it.

alanm
25th January 2006, 09:17 PM
I have the Carbatec equivalent and it handles hardwood Ok if you have a gentle hand. 19mm dados are fine, even at 20mm depth, just take your time over 20mm depth. No problems with power and it's quieter than my dust collector.

As with most contractor saws the dust comes up a lot even with some good bottom suck (no jokes..). Some sort of overhead collection is required if you like a really clean workshop.

Hopefully the Hafco has put a bit more work into the sliding table, as the carbatec one was a bitch to get running parallel to the blade. I mainly used it as a balancing table for large sheets (it does this well), until I spent a half day or more "adjusting" it.

NewWoody
25th January 2006, 10:11 PM
Well, I have made the plunge and got the saw, I will be assembling this as soon as I'm free, hopefully before the weekend.

Comes in 3 boxes and the box containing the saw weights 103kg, that was testing my back during lifting on and off the trailer.

Thanks for your feedback Iain, I have some lengths of nicely seasoned 300mmx50mm Jarrah, this is destined for a dinning table top. As well as some thinner pieces for King sized bed. There's also a nice slab of red maple destined for a coffee table. I will have my work cut out...

Thanks for the tips also Alanm, the sliding table itself is not that high on my priority, I will see how well it lines up.

By the way, any special tips on the assembly? I mean, is there anything that the book left out that you are aware of? I have a big mistrust of manuals that come out of asian countries. Not their fault, it's just that English isn't their 1st language. Can you imagine yourself writing a manual in a foreign language? You gotta feel sorry for the poor soul that will be using it for reference, wound'nt ya?

Anyway, any if you have any tips that will save me from cursing during my assembly, that would be much appreciated!

Iain
26th January 2006, 07:59 AM
One tip, put on the side door before you put the side table on otherwise the door will not go on, and no matter how many different ways you try, you will have to take off the side table again.
TRust me:o :o :o
I might also add I use a couple of CMT blades, not the Irwin that it came with.

NewWoody
28th January 2006, 11:14 AM
Thanks for the tip Iain,
I will be assembling it this weekend, the much needed rain means I won't need a good excuse to head for the shed.
Thanks again.