PDA

View Full Version : How do you store your CA ...???

darley56
24th January 2006, 02:07 PM
Since nobody raise the question, I will. How do you store your CA glue? do you have a bloked noozle? what do you do then?

Well to let you know I buy CA from the States 6 to 10 bottles at the time, depending what I'm doing on turning this is enought for me for 5 to 8 months .

So let see what are you doing about this, then I will let you know what I do.

bennylaird
24th January 2006, 02:12 PM
Keep it in the beer fridge, doesn't take too much room.

I usually do the pin trick to clean blocks but tend to get fingers stuck a bit. Best thing is to buy the spare nozzles that are available.

Cliff Rogers
24th January 2006, 02:22 PM
In a ziplock bag (with all the air squeezed out) in the fridge.

The stuff I got from Gary Pye seems to have lasted the longest without going off.
http://store.yahoo.com/gpwoodturning/superglue.html

bitingmidge
24th January 2006, 02:25 PM
In the butter compartment of the SoftDrink Fridge.

I buy mine at $2.50 for twenty tubes from Crazy Clarkes. It's probably GMC rebranded.

;)
P

John Saxton
24th January 2006, 03:05 PM
Lilke the above store it in fridge outback where it's handy to the shed,use a fine drill to clear the nozzle should it get blocked.

Cheers:)

Spindleshanks
24th January 2006, 03:07 PM
In the fridge until the bottle is opened. Then I keep it out of the fridge. The problem in this humid climate is that condensation can settle on the inside of the bottle when the opened (and cold) bottle is taken from the fridge and can bring about a fairly rapid hardening of the glue. This method may not be relevant elsewhere but at the moment we are copping regular 80% to 90% humidity levels. I leave a long thin nail in the cap.

outback
24th January 2006, 04:48 PM
Beer fridge.

As long as you're real careful it need not detract from the beer capacity of said fridge.

Kev Y.
24th January 2006, 05:45 PM
dont have a beer fridge (anymore:( ), so I am trying mine in a styrene 6 pack cooler

darley56
24th January 2006, 06:47 PM
Well very good, I see that every one got a beer fridge :D ( I don't ) but I keep my CA in the freeze ( just for storage, when I need a bottle I just take 1 out of the freeze 2 hours before using it with the whole cap and noozle unscrew to prevent condensation ) , now when you have the tip of the noozle block by the CA is because you put the black cap back on so you don't let the CA from the tip to flow back in the tube or bottle, for myself when I open a CA bottle the black cap go in the bin I never have block noozle, now if you have a block noozel tip just get a small jar pour some acetone in it and put your CA tip in it, next day is clean, no point to buy new tip save your $$

Spindleshanks, correct humidity affect the setting time of the CA some time I got problem with this related matter on my finish and have to start over again from square 1

Thanks to all

Tornatus
24th January 2006, 08:56 PM
Just a little trick I picked up from a professional demonstrator at one of the wood shows - when you have finished dispensing CA, wipe any excess off the nozzle, hold the bottle upright and give the tip of the nozzle a sharp flick with your fingernail (preferably in the away direction, in case any glue is still outside the nozzle!)
This should drive any glue in the nozzle down into the bottle and leave it free for next time. Replace the cap, and keep the bottle upright as you place it in the fridge.
BTW, I find that buying cheap CA from Bunnys or Clints is a false economy, because it is a poor formulation that will rapidly become brittle and your joint will fail - not only that, but your wood will become unstuck, as well!
Buy the good quality stuff from the US - can't remember the name right at this moment, but it comes in green, yellow and red labelled bottles according to the consistency. Red is very thin for capillary action / crack repairs, and green is nice and thick for gap-filling / pen-barrel gluing. Exxy, but well worth it.

darley56
24th January 2006, 09:32 PM
Just a little trick I picked up from a professional demonstrator at one of the wood shows - when you have finished dispensing CA, wipe any excess off the nozzle, hold the bottle upright and give the tip of the nozzle a sharp flick with your fingernail (preferably in the away direction, in case any glue is still outside the nozzle!)
This should drive any glue in the nozzle down into the bottle and leave it free for next time. Replace the cap, and keep the bottle upright as you place it in the fridge.
BTW, I find that buying cheap CA from Bunnys or Clints is a false economy, because it is a poor formulation that will rapidly become brittle and your joint will fail - not only that, but your wood will become unstuck, as well!
Buy the good quality stuff from the US - can't remember the name right at this moment, but it comes in green, yellow and red labelled bottles according to the consistency. Red is very thin for capillary action / crack repairs, and green is nice and thick for gap-filling / pen-barrel gluing. Exxy, but well worth it.

" EZ " brand

bitingmidge
25th January 2006, 10:16 AM
Beer fridge.

As long as you're real careful it need not detract from the beer capacity of said fridge.Why do you think I put the stuff in the Butter Compartment??

P
:D

outback
25th January 2006, 10:52 AM
Why do you think I put the stuff in the Butter Compartment??

P
:D

'cos ya put it on ya toast at Brekky? Remember breakfast is the most important meal of the day, ya need something which will stick to ya ribs. :D

Tornatus
27th January 2006, 09:48 PM
" EZ " brand

Actually, when I checked, my CA is "Hot Stuff" brand, made by Satellite in the US

darley56
28th January 2006, 12:45 PM
Actually, when I checked, my CA is "Hot Stuff" brand, made by Satellite in the US

You're right because this is the only brand you can find in Australia, EZ-Bond is the Manufacturer of CA glue in the States and every one buy from them and re-seller, I don't know the price of CA now here but I know that I pay $6.00 cheaper per bottle than what you pay here in Australia, that why I buy by 6 to 10 2OZ bottle at the time

Old Croc
28th January 2006, 09:02 PM
Can the acetone be used as a thinner for the glue or is there another solvent to use.
Croccy

darley56
28th January 2006, 09:14 PM
Can the acetone be used as a thinner for the glue or is there another solvent to use.
Croccy
if you got thich CA that mean the CA is gone, you can thiner done if you want but the CA lost all is addisive strengs