PDA

View Full Version : Getting a Log Sawn into Boards

RobertEddy
25th January 2006, 06:26 PM
G'day All
I'm new to the forum (and woodworking) so bear with me. My son & I are embarking on a project using Black Oak (casuarina cristata or Belah). We have a log which is 1 metre long and about 30 cm diameter. We need to get this sawn into 20mm thick boards. I am having difficulty finding a business which will provide this service (probably more annoyance value than its worth). I am located in Adelaide, South Australia. Could anybody suggest a place where I could get this done ?

Thanks in advance :)
Rob

btw - a great forum.

KevM
25th January 2006, 07:13 PM
G'day All
I'm new to the forum (and woodworking) so bear with me. My son & I are embarking on a project using Black Oak (casuarina cristata or Belah). We have a log which is 1 metre long and about 30 cm diameter. We need to get this sawn into 20mm thick boards. I am having difficulty finding a business which will provide this service (probably more annoyance value than its worth). I am located in Adelaide, South Australia. Could anybody suggest a place where I could get this done ?

Thanks in advance :)
Rob

btw - a great forum.

Rob,
I can cut it up for you..........second thoughts, freight to/from Tassie might make it a little expensive:D .

See if you can find someone with a portable mill too short to run over a conventional breast bench.

regards

Kev M

Pat
25th January 2006, 07:26 PM
conventional breast bench

Kev, we don't want this in the pink room, do we???:eek: :eek: :eek: :p :o

oges
25th January 2006, 09:24 PM
Contact Lucas Mill or similar company and see if they have a list of customers in your area who offer a milling service. I contact one in the past and got a list of NSW ones.

dadpad
25th January 2006, 09:49 PM
This log will be too short for most conventional mills and too wide (Diameter) for most band saw/circular saws. As Kev said A portable saw mill would be the go similar to a Lucas mill. www.lucasmill.com.au (http://www.lucasmill.com.au)

Agroforestry news have just run a feature on oaks. I am sure they would be interested to recieve photos of your log and timber. If you can manage this email photos to [email protected]

C crista is prone to cracking with differential shrinkage during drying. The wood does not have obviouse medular rays as with other casurina and allocasurina. It is very dense, (1150 kg/m3) fine textured and takes a glass like finish. The wood is generally a creamy brown tending darker towards the center sometimes gradually but also abruptly.

Paint the ends of the log (use aquadhere or oil based paint) to reduce drying prior to milling and be prepared to sticker out to dry (even if you think the log is old and dry). Slow drying is best, if you have room sticker out in a shed, if not protect from rain.
there are others who are more expert than me on this forum but above is the basics.

echnidna
25th January 2006, 09:54 PM
spit it in half lengthways then resaw it into boards on a bandsaw

redwood
25th January 2006, 10:05 PM
spit it in half lengthways then resaw it into boards on a bandsaw

good advice. its only a little log. do it yourself:D

soundman
28th January 2006, 11:10 PM
Hell a log that small should go thru a 17" band saw or a 14" with a riser block as is (maybe with a scrape).
If not cutt it down the guts with the chainsaw freehand then bandsaw.
Just make sure the blades of whatever you are using are sharp and symetricaly sharpened.
cheers

RobertEddy
29th January 2006, 09:43 PM
This log will be too short for most conventional mills and too wide (Diameter) for most band saw/circular saws. As Kev said A portable saw mill would be the go similar to a Lucas mill. www.lucasmill.com.au (http://www.lucasmill.com.au)

Agroforestry news have just run a feature on oaks. I am sure they would be interested to recieve photos of your log and timber. If you can manage this email photos to [email protected]

C crista is prone to cracking with differential shrinkage during drying. The wood does not have obviouse medular rays as with other casurina and allocasurina. It is very dense, (1150 kg/m3) fine textured and takes a glass like finish. The wood is generally a creamy brown tending darker towards the center sometimes gradually but also abruptly.

Paint the ends of the log (use aquadhere or oil based paint) to reduce drying prior to milling and be prepared to sticker out to dry (even if you think the log is old and dry). Slow drying is best, if you have room sticker out in a shed, if not protect from rain.
there are others who are more expert than me on this forum but above is the basics.
Thanks for all the replies - think I'll cut it length ways with the chainsaw and the on the saw bench to get the boards.

There doesn't seem to be any businesses in Adelaide that are willing to undertake small jobs like this - probably better to do it myself - all experience is good experience.
Thanks again :)
Robert Eddy

woodbe
30th January 2006, 11:06 AM
Thanks for all the replies - think I'll cut it length ways with the chainsaw and the on the saw bench to get the boards.

There doesn't seem to be any businesses in Adelaide that are willing to undertake small jobs like this - probably better to do it myself - all experience is good experience.
Thanks again :)
Robert Eddy

If you can trim it so that it's 230mm high with at least one flat face (can be wider than that), my BP16a would cut it. I'm in the near hills. PM if you're interested.

Michael